2279164813 packets output, 2674979208203 bytes, 18849153 total output drops
Output 8 broadcast packets, 330349 multicast packets

4 Replies 4

I send you message check it

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @ahmed.benabdalla9,

High values of "total output drops" might suggest that the interface is experiencing congestion, possibly due to traffic exceeding its capacity or network issues.

In other words, it indicates the number of times that packets were not sent out from the interface due to congestion or other issues. Output drops occur when the interface's output buffer becomes full and it cannot accommodate any more outgoing packets.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

this might be an issue with buffer too ?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"what does mean when I have xxxxxxxxx total output drops"

It means, for xxxxxxxxx number of packets that should have been transmitted, they were not, they were discarded/dropped for various reasons.  What are the reasons?  They vary.  Often it's some form of resource exhaustion, like overflowing an egress queue, but might be other causes, like a policer that's is limiting traffic to some rate below the interface's capacity.  From what you've posted, alone, cannot tell more.

A related question is, are the drops, especially those shown in your posting "bad"?  Again, insufficient information to say.

In general, drops if they occur, are often due to oversubscription of bandwidth, for such cases, they might be "normal", and for many protocols, provide feedback to the protocol to regulate its transmission rate (e.g. TCP).

Although it's unexpected, zero drops isn't necessarily a "good" thing, just as any drops isn't necessarily a "bad" thing,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card