Views
Helpful
Replies

C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have L3(4506) switch running in my environment.Since past few days i am finding host flapping logs in device. What could be cause of this logs.

Feb 11 14:51:35: %C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING: Host 00:32:35:E5:BB:B1 in vlan 155 is moving from port Gi2/5 to port Gi3/24

3 Replies 3

Wilson Bonilla
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Anukalp.

When a bridged loop occurs in the network, meaning a layer 2 loop or spanning-tree loop as you want to call it, the switch will report host flapping.

What is a Host flapping ?

This is a host(computer, server ... any device that owns a mac address) in this case 0032.35E5.BBB1, that is being learned across two different interfaces, in this case Gig2/5 and Gig3/24.

As you know the same mac-address should be learnt in two different interfaces at the same time. unless those two interfaces are bundle in a etherchannel.

From the log message, we understand that your network is having a layer 2 loop affecting vlan 155.

- Make sure that spanning is running an instance of vlan 155 in all switches on your network!!!! then following the steps below:

- Try to find out what is the device that is owns 00:32:35:E5:BB:B1, is it a pc, server...

- If this is a server wit multiple NIC, and all NIC in the server are teamed, (NIC teaming) then you should configure gig2/5 and gig3/24 as a port-channel.

- Verify what is connected behind these two interfaces.  If there are switches connected downstream most likely the problem comes from down there... you will need to check the logs for more mac notifications and follow the interfaces flapping in downstream switches until find the end device causing the problem.

- Check their configuration.

00:32:35:E5:BB:B1

Regards.

Wilson B

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's the client with that MAC address?  Is the client suppose to be in an etherchannel?

Hello,

The weird thing is that when i try to trace this mac address in ARP table then i dont find any ip resolving this.

I am running spanning-tree PVST in my core switch and it is root switch. .But not has configured spanning tree on all access switches.I am not running etherchanneling.

How could i trace this mac address??

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card