cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C6880-X Assymetrical memory configuration

eekman
Level 1
Level 1

When doing a ISSU upgrade of a 6880 VSS cluster I got the following log message:

Asymmetrical redundant configuration: Active SP has (2097151/262144K) memory, Standby has (2097151/409600K).

This seemed a bit strange since we bought the two chassis at the same time. I can't find a way to verify that the SP memory differs on the two units.

show platform hardware capacity

does not give me any information that supports a different memory configuration on the two units.

How can I verify the amount of SP memory on the two units?

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To see the 2nd unit you can try below that's 6509 vss may work for 6800 too

remote command standby-sp show ver

remote command standby-sp show mem

Thanks for your reply. I have tried that, but I don't trust the output:

switch1#remote command standby-sp show version
Cisco IOS Software, c6880x Software (c6880x-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(2)SY4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2014 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 05-Nov-14 16:37 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 15.1(02)SY01 [ Rel 1.1], RELEASE SOFTWARE

BOOTLDR: 
Switch1 uptime is 1 year, 19 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, 30 minutes
... <output omitted>
Cisco C6880-X-LE ( Intel(R) Core(TM) i3- CPU @ 2.00GHz ) processor (revision ) with 1833984K/262144K bytes of memory.

It says uptime is over a year, and it can't be since I rebooted the standby switch a week ago. The active switch was never rebooted (ISSU upgrade was aborted since a line card did not power on in the secondary switch).

You may need to reboot both of the switches to clear the alarm if nothing has physically changed and it was working fine before , something may have happened when only 1 was rebooted and it came up and didn't sync correctly

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/19981/pfredun-sp-4-physmemmismatch-asymmetrical-redundant-configuration-error-message

does the show redundancy and the show switch virtual role detail look ok ?

Just checked both my vss switches as I had power outage around week ago unplanned

I see similar type of time issue , outage was 1 week ago yet remote switch is telling me its up 2 weeks but its control process or is same time as outage

same whether I check the standby-rp or sp

(SWA)uptime is 1 week, 3 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 1 week, 3 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes

(SWA-REMOTE) uptime is 2 weeks, 5 days, 1 hour, 47 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 1 week, 3 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes

Yes, the standby looks OK, it's in hot standby and SSO looks ok. During ISSU upgrade I had a few issues, even after abortversion. I had to physically power off the switch and power it back on again to get a line card to power up. But after that everything looks good.

Even if the uptime is lying the amount of memory does not match that of the error message. I get the feeling it's only showing me info from the active switch.

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

We were facing a similar slightly different problem and I found this discussion while doing an internet search.

%PFREDUN-SW2-4-PHYSMEM_MISMATCH: Asymmetrical redundant configuration: Active SP has (2097151/409600K) memory, Standby has (4194303/409600K).

I know this is an old discussion but our findings may help others:

The first 6880's were shipped with 2 GB onboard memory, but beginning from March 2016 they are shipped with 4 GB (link: datasheet, see table 2 "Onboard memory"). This can lead into hardware mismatch problems when replacing an existing VSS memberswitch (e.g. RMA). A memory upgrade kit (C6880-X-LE-MEMKIT=) is available for such cases. If you don't have the upgrade kit, you could also downgrade the new switch to 2 GB in order to avoid the mismatch.

Link: Cisco Catalyst 6880-X-LE Memory Upgrade

BR,

Rolf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card