cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300: cable OOB port to other switch port?

NetAdminMBC
Level 1
Level 1

OK, this may seem nuts, but I have my reasons.  On my C9300, Gig0/0 is the mgmt-vrf interface; it has an IP address on a management network and can't be part of any other VLAN (if I understand it correctly).  It acts almost as a separate host; if I patch it into a port on another switch that is configured as "switchport access vlan [mgmt-vlan for entire LAN]" it comes alive.

Now - that C9300 already has some interfaces that are in fact configured for that management VLAN, for devices like SAN management interface, or management of some other switches, or OOB interfaces on some servers.  That VLAN is then on a trunk into core so I can get to any of those devices from other routed LANs.   So - can I patch the C9300's OOB interface into one of those ports as well?   Intuitively, it seems wrong to patch a switch into itself, but if it's just the management for that switch, it doesn't seem any different, logically, from patching some other switch into the C9300 and carrying the IP traffic over that trunk.  If the OOB is segregated properly, wouldn't this work?

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The mgmt0 is designed in a different VRF and should be connected to a different switch to manage the switch out-of-band. So, it should not be mixed with server, SAN, etc.. managment that you use in band using a vlan. If you want to access the switch in-band, than you can simply created a mgmt vlan and add it to the trunk ports and not use mgmt0 at all.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card