Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 - upgrade from 16.6.4a to 16.9.4 failed

Tristan42
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The upgrade of switch 9300 from 16.6.4a to 16.9.4 failed, it's a stack with two switch, and i have this kind of issue :

%IOSXE-5-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: Jan 19 10:31:58 install_engine.sh: %INSTALL-5-INSTALL_START_INFO: Started install one-shot flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin

%IOSXE-5-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: Jan 19 10:39:34 rollback_timer.sh: %INSTALL-5-INSTALL_AUTO_ABORT_TIMER_PROGRESS: Install auto abort timer will expire in 7200 seconds

%IOSXE-3-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: Jan 19 10:39:35 install_engine.sh: %INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: Failed to install_add_activate_commit package flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin

%IOSXE-3-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: Jan 19 10:39:35 install_engine.sh: %INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: Failed to install_add_activate_commit package flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin

%IOSXE-5-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: Jan 19 10:39:35 install_engine.sh: %INSTALL-5-INSTALL_COMPLETED_INFO: Completed install one-shot PACKAGE flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin

%IOSXE-5-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: Jan 19 10:41:31 install_engine.sh: %INSTALL-5-INSTALL_START_INFO: Started install one-shot flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin

%IOSXE-3-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: Jan 19 10:41:39 install_engine.sh: %INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: Failed to install_add_activate_commit package flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin

When i do a "show install summary" :

[ Switch 1 ] Installed Package(s) Information:
State (St): I - Inactive, U - Activated & Uncommitted,
C - Activated & Committed, D - Deactivated & Uncommitted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type St Filename/Version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMG I 16.6.4a.0
IMG U 16.6.4a.0

[ Switch 2 ] Installed Package(s) Information:
State (St): I - Inactive, U - Activated & Uncommitted,
C - Activated & Committed, D - Deactivated & Uncommitted
Type St Filename/Version
IMG I 16.9.4.0
IMG I 16.6.4a.0
IMG C 16.6.4a.0

On the switch 1 :

- Package 16.6.4a is in two states : "Inactive" and "Activited & Uncomitted"

On the switch 2 :

- Package 16.6.4a is in two states : "Inactive" and "Activated & Committed"

- Package 16.9.4 is "Inactive"

I can't use the command "install remove inactive" to clear the 16.9.4 package because the running IOS 16.6.4a is also seens as inactive...

I can't start the upgrade with "install add file flash-1:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin activate commit" because package already exist.

To solve this, i probably should reactivate 16.6.4a package on both switch, clear the 16.9.4 package and start again the install.

Do you have any clue how i can do this, or another way ?

Thanks,

Tristan

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Tristan42 wrote:

I can't start the upgrade with "install add file flash-1:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin activate commit" because package already exist.

Really? 

Post the complete output to the following commands: 

1.  dir flash-2: 

2.  more flash-3:packages.conf | b for NOVA

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply, there is only 2 switch in the stack, so i have flash-1: flash-2 no flash-3: :)

The command "more flash-2:packages.conf | b for NOVA" and "more flash-1:packages.conf | b for NOVA" send me nothing, i attached the content of both packages.conf from switch 1 and 2.

I also attach the result of the command "dir flash-1:" and "dir flash-2:".

I already try to run again the "install add file flash-1:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin activate commit" and have this :

[1|install_add_activate_commit( FATAL)]: Super package already added. Add operation not allowed. 'install remove inactive' can be used to discard added packages

"Install remove inactive" is not working :

[2|install_remove( FATAL)]: Cannot perform install remove. Please use 'install commit' after 'install activate'

Post the complete output to the command "req plat soft pack inst switch all file flash-1:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin new auto-copy".
If this command does not work, then force the stack to boot the file "cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin" in Bundle mode and re-run the Install Mode command.

Facing the same error, did you get the solution? please share 

Read THIS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco