cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

c9500 running config different from startup config (after saving)

Deirdre.Heagney
Level 1
Level 1

We have a c9500 24Y4C cisco switch on  version – 16.12.4

The issue is the startup config is showing the switchport command  under each interface 

But the running config isn’t showing this command.

startup config on the switch - after saving config

interface TwentyFiveGigE1/0/10
description *** link to ***
switchport
switchport trunk allowed vlan none
switchport mode trunk
!
interface TwentyFiveGigE1/0/11
switchport

runing config on the same switch -
interface TwentyFiveGigE1/0/10
description *** link to ***
switchport trunk allowed vlan none
switchport mode trunk
!
interface TwentyFiveGigE1/0/11
!

The config different in both is causing  conflict issues on our management tool, any ideas what could be causing this issue?

and how we can fix this.

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It may be a bug in the OS you are running. Open a ticket with Cisco as this might be a known issue to TAC. You may have to upgrade.

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

try 16.12.see if that fix the issue ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

what if you copy the startup to the running config ?

C9500#copy start run

doesnt work - the switchport command still not showing in running config.

Hello Deirdre,

the switchport command does not show in running-config because it is the default for the port.

Try to look if there are options for show running like show running all that includes default commands

Note:

what you see can also be the sign that they are going to change the default state of ports to no switchport in some future releases.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ruhtra
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever figure it out?  I just installed our first pair of 9500 and am seeing the same thing with our configuration management tool.  It keeps alerting that startup is different than running.  IOS version 17.8.1r

I believe that this is mostly a cosmetic issue, reflecting the fact that both show run and show start appear as if both are text files. But the running config is not a text file but is a dynamic data structure. The show run command invokes a process that reads the dynamic data structure and produces what looks like a text output. But the process that translates the running config for show run is different from the process that translates the running config for copy run start. So the output of the processes is slightly different.

Are you able to open cases with Cisco TAC? If so open a case and perhaps they might supply a solution. Or perhaps try a different version of code on your switches.

HTH

Rick

Thanks, but I am using the latest stable version.  And considering this thread is a few years old, I have doubts a different version is worth my time.

Ruhtra
Level 1
Level 1

I ended up adding a comparison criteria to ignore the difference.  I used the following RegEx pattern,  If anyone else does this, don't omit the space after the caret.

^ switchport$

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card