cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a layer 2 port channel load balance hash mode use src-dst-port ?

luverofpeanuts
Level 1
Level 1

I have two servers connected to a pair of Nexus 7K (peers).  Each server is connected to a 4 port LACP port channel (vPC, I think).   The switch and all modules are using the default load balance hash mode.... i.e..

show port-channel load-balance

Non-IP: src-dst mac

IP: src-dst ip rotate 0

Each of my servers (on the same tcp subnet), when using multiple tcp connections and ports, can utilize all 4 ports sending flows.  However, the receiver of these flows is only receiving on two of the 4 ports.  Would switching the port channel load balance mode to src-dst-port allow the sending and receiving tcp port numbers to included in the hash, and thus have the switch send flows to my receiver on all 4 links?

It seems like it would, but I've been led to believe that since the traffic is all layer 2, it will not.  I'm not sure if I should believe that.  

Thanks for your thoughts. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dbeattie
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, a L2 port-channel can use L3/L4 fields as part of the load balancing algorithm for IP traffic.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dbeattie
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, a L2 port-channel can use L3/L4 fields as part of the load balancing algorithm for IP traffic.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

Thank you!   It would be nice if there was Cisco documentation I could point to that made it clear.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card