cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Cisco device work with other vender device for MACSEC function in switch-to-switch mode?

LunY
Level 1
Level 1

We want to implement a feature like this: transfer data encrypted by MACSEC between the uplink ports on our device with Cisco's device in switch-to-switch mode. (The CAK is manually configured. SAK is generated and updated following MKA protocol. Calling MACSEC API to configure PHY chip.)

Is it possible to create a MACSEC link between a Cisco device and another vendor device in switch-to-switch mode? (I saw that "Cisco TrustSec device" is required for MACSEC feature) If it can, what's the configure on the Cisco device side?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
I would have thought it would be however It seems non cisco isn’t supported, unless that is ive misinterpreted the MACsec documentation.

MACSEC:
Two keying mechanisms are available: Security Associati
on Protocol (SAP) and MAC Security Key Agreement (MKA).
SAP is a proprietary Cisco
®keying protocol used between Cisco switches

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello
I would have thought it would be however It seems non cisco isn’t supported, unless that is ive misinterpreted the MACsec documentation.

MACSEC:
Two keying mechanisms are available: Security Associati
on Protocol (SAP) and MAC Security Key Agreement (MKA).
SAP is a proprietary Cisco
®keying protocol used between Cisco switches

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. By searching your comments as the keyword, I got the guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise/design-zone-security/how_to_intro_macsec_ndac_guide.pdf

Inside the guide, it describes "the switch-to-switch encryption uses Cisco’s proprietary SAP instead of MKA", be consistant with your reply.

Regards,

Lun

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card