cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I connect to a 2948 RJ45 console (or Aux) port via a Apple USB

larryjcollins
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Apple laptop and obviously it (and most laptop PC's) doesn't have a db9 serial connection. Can I connect from my USB to the RJ45 connection? If so do you know anyone that might sell that type of cable or what the pin-outs would be (if I need to make my own)? I have seen a USB->DB9 and I thought if needed I could then make a DB9->RJ45. What terminal emulation program would I then need on the Apple? Could I even connect frm my ethernet and/or modem to the Console or Aux port?

4 Replies 4

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

I use a PowerBook G4. You can purchase a Keyspan (P/N USA-19HS) USB to serial adapter. This pigtail will convert your USB to DB9. From there you simply plug in the blue/black female DB9->RJ45 cable Cisco supplies.

Keep in mind many USB->Serial converters do NOT work with OSX, Keyspan is one of the few that does work.

HTH

Steve

thanks steve...i'll get that adapter asap. What terminal emulation sw do you use on your mac?

Should have provided this link to you earlier. It provides instructions on getting Minicom in OSX working:

http://www.aaronadams.net/article.php/20040929170312213

HTH

Steve

Please rate if helpful.

Steve - this is going to be very helpful. It will take me a few days to get the cables and then I can try it out on my PowerBook G4 and my HP Laptop (for good measure). Thanks again and I'll post back with my success.

Larry

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card