Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i put my stack switch both in Active state

Jasmeetsingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 3650 switch, and i have stack the switch...

can i put both the stack switch in Active state.??? 

Thanks in advance,

Jasmeet

13 Replies 13

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
yes thats what happens when they stack together they become one logical switch with all ports in both switches active if thats what you mean

yes, i have stack the switch, and i want to keep both on "active" state.
Is there any cisco documentation available for that..?

Both cant be master but both will be active by default , 1 as master and 1 as member , all ports active on both as default when stacked

So i can use both switch ports at the in same time..?
Is there any cisco documentation stating for stacking switch.?

yes so if there's 2 48 port switches in a stack there will be 96 active ports

quick google theres loads of docs its a common setup
https://sidarlington.wordpress.com/2016/07/14/stacking-cisco-36503850-switches/

@Jasmeetsingh wrote:
I want to keep both on "active" state.

In a stack environment, the switches form a single logical unit.  In a logical unit, there will always be one who does all the decision making.  This unit is known as the "switch master".  With one unit as the master the rest are slaves, however, all of them are "active" in a sense that they all pass traffic.  

Having two (or more) units becoming "master" is a very destructive scenario called split-brain.  This is a scenario where every network engineer dreads and tries to avoid.  

Are you able to explain why you want a stack to have a split-brain?

i have scenario in which, i have 45 uplinks for different l2 switches....
So i want to use a stack switch of 24 port, so my current scenario can match and i can present a solution.

So is it possible to be both switch as master/active...??

Hold on ... You've got the wrong model. You don't want stack switches. If you want both units to be "active", you're looking at a chassis-based switch. This way, both line cards are "active" but controlled by a supervisor card.

So for that i have to go with cisco 4500 series model... is there any other model other than that....?

Depends on your budget.

is there any document from cisco regarding both switch cannot be in active/active.. ??

Hi

Please correct me if Im understanding wrong the question, are you referring if both switches can be master or if you can add the switch to the stack? You can create a stack with the new switch if it has the same IOS, license, now you can just 1 master switch into the stack.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
A switch is not a firewall. There can only be one master switch in a stack. When the master switch fails, the switchover is very fast.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card