cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not login with telnet

toprock1970
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect to a cisco switch via telnet with Putty. The session looks like it connects but I'm pressented with a blank screen - no logon prompt.

The switch is still working as my solarwinds monitoring has not complained about any of the ports being down and the devices connected to the switch can still communicate.

The device is up at my DR site so I can't just pop a console cable in to try and clear sessions.

Has anyone else seen this issue and more importantly is there some kind of break sequnce that can be invoked to force the logon screen to display during the telnet attempt?

3 Replies 3

Eduardo Corzo
Level 1
Level 1

I assume that you can ping the device, since you have information on solarwinds, is this just a problem with putty or even if you try with command line you get the same error? (cmd in windows, terminal in linux)

On the other hand, try to RDP at any computer on your DR site and perform telnet from there, since you're gonna be on the same LAN I don't think there's not gonna be any kind of problem.

Finally, why are you using telnet? ssh is much better...just saying haha

Hi Eduardo

I can ping the device.

When I use putty to connect - via ssh - brings up a blach screen. Hitting enter drops the cursor down a line but I don't get any output.

I've since been to the DR site and used the console cable which worked fine. I can ping nodes from this switch and everything looks OK.
I then came back to the office, tried to ssh into the switch and had the same issue again. I'd going back to the site this weekend so I'll reload it. I was wonder if there's some way of resetting the SSH daemon without having to reload the device.

Uhm that sounds like a deja-vu, it happend to me once on a Cisco 6K, so I only configure it by console; I resolve this performing a switch over and restarting one of the supervisor, but in your case, restarting the whole switch can help.

I don't think there's a way to restart the ssh process on a switch, most probably you will need to erase all ssh configuration and put everything again.

Sometimes this kind of weird stuff happens, you just have to be mentally prepare to perform a "reload" command in a production switch haha

Let me know how this is going, and if you can, please share with us the IOS version, it could probably have a bug, just in case to make some investigation :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card