cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can one run cisco switch stack with different Licence features

russhorvath007
Level 1
Level 1

I have read quite alot of posts on this but struggling to find one that answers my question.

I am keen to have a single stack, mainly to take advantage of the 32G uplinks but have 2 switches on advipservices and two on ipservices.

I have read conflicting thinsg regards what will happen if I connected to new switches running advipservices licenses to a stack running ipservices licences.

Regards the IOS, the info suggests that the Master switch (runing ipservices) will downgrade the IOS of the new advipservice switches etc. This siad happen happens regards the Licenses, Can I have two running advipservices which i would use to connect other network kit to i.e. WAN / ASA etc and also have two running ipservices say just for server connections etc.

I don't seem able to get a partical answer on this - Anyone actually tried it ?

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In stack environment, you should always have the same IOS and the license features on all your switches.

You may be able to get it to work initially, but bad things happens when the stack get rebooted or the master fails and a member becomes the master.

Mismatched or incompatible software license levels might prevent a  Catalyst 3750E switch from joining a stack. These license levels are  also called sets, or feature sets:

IP base (ipbase)

IP services (ipservices)

Advanced IP services (advanced ipservices)

Each member switch must have a compatible feature license. Otherwise,  you need to upgrade the license level and then reload the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/switch_stacks.html#wp47108

Thanks for the prompt response. Its pretty much answer the question.

Based on the answer, is it possible to add the advipservices switches to the ipservices stack running just ipservices i.e. change the license from advipservices to ipservices ?

I know I would lose the advanced features until I got another couple of licenses - but if a single stack was more important just now......

thanks

Although I have never downgraded license features (always upgrade), it should work just fine.  I imagine, you have to revoke the current license and install the new IP Services.

C3750-E#license revoke ?     
  flash1:  Get Permission ticket from flash1: file system
  flash:   Get Permission ticket from flash: file system
  ftp:     Get Permission ticket from ftp: file system
  http:    Get Permission ticket from http: file system
  null:    Get Permission ticket from null: file system
  nvram:   Get Permission ticket from nvram: file system
  rcp:     Get Permission ticket from rcp: file system
  system:  Get Permission ticket from system: file system
  tftp:    Get Permission ticket from tftp: file system
  tmpsys:  Get Permission ticket from tmpsys: file system

C3750-E#license revoke

HTH

Reza

The answer is NO.

If you attempt to join a stack with different Feature Set then the second one will not join the stack master.

If I were you, DO NOT join the two.  Link them together using copper cable (or fibre, whichever suits you).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card