cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can someone please explain the purpose of a hybrid port ?

Hello experts,

I have been hitting my head to the wall all day reading and trying to understand the purpose of a hybrid port, while I do have a clear understanding of both access and trunk ports.

If my understanding is correct, hybrid ports are identical to trunk ports, except that they allow multiple untagged VLANs. If that's the case, I really can't understand the meaning of multiple untagged VLANs. How is it possible to have more than one untagged VLAN on a port ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano

4 Replies 4

any4one
Level 1
Level 1

Hello massimiliano.rizzi

I'm asking myself the same concern, and unfortunately it is impossible to get any clear documentation regarding this topic (hybrid port mechanism...). Please any Cisco expert to help us get more understanding.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me1200/gui/guide/b_ME1200_Web_GUI_book/b_ME1200_Web_GUI_book_chapter_010011.pdf

>.... Hybrid ports resemble trunk ports in many ways, but adds additional port configuration
features. In addition to the characteristics described for trunk ports, hybrid ports have these abilities:
◦Can be configured to be VLAN tag unaware, C-tag aware, S-tag aware, or S-custom-tag
aware.
◦Ingress filtering can be controlled.
◦Ingress acceptance of frames and configuration of egress tagging can be configured
independently

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you so much mentor. this definition trigger additionals concerns : 

- we know mechanism used by  trunk port for native vlan (or only one untagged vlan), what is the mechanism used by Hybrid port to unaware tags of more than one vlan.

- bloggers are stating that  it is impossible to get trunk and hybrid port into the same switch, can you tell us more about , please.

And thank you so much

>...used by Hybrid port to unaware tags of more than one vlan.

- In general cisco devices don't support such mechanisms.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card