Helpful
Replies

Can't connect WRV210 Router to a switch

window_eye
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Product: Cisco WRV210 Wireless-G VPN Router

Problem: Won't connect to my network switch, no lights, no connection.

I've got an cable internet connection with modem plugged into the internet port and that seems to work fine. If I plug a device, such as a laptop, into any of the ethernet ports on the router I can connect successfully to the router and through to the internet. The problem I have is that I have more than four devices that I want to connect so I want to connect the modem to a switch.

I was previously using a different internet router, now disconnected, that seemed to connect to the switch fine. All my other network computers previously connected to each other and the internet through that switch no problem.

When I plug the WRV210 into the switch, none of the lights on the switch or router come on and there is absolutely no response from ping or the admin page (192.168.1.1).

I've tried two different switches, with the same response (one Dell switch, the other Netgear). If I plug the old internet router back into either switch then it works fine.

Could anyone tell me if there is a setting i'm missing somewhere? According to the WRV210 manual you can connect a switch to it, it should work.

Can you only connect it to Cisco brand switches?

Is there something else i'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i've run out of ideas.

Thanks.

16 Replies 16

Hi Antonio,

See my reply to your tests.

I have tried with the setup you last suggested. The problem that I have is that when I plug the switch into LAN1 on the WRV210 I get no response (no lights) on either the switch or the WRV210. This is essentially the original problem that I was wrestling with. If you have any other different setup options that might work, I'll give them a try.

Thanks

This issue belongs to new Cisco Brand of WRV210 only. Check this: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3243558

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card