cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't get Vlan to accept DHCP address

HunterHage
Level 1
Level 1

In order for the answer below to work, in this setup I had to stop using the Gigabit port entirely and just use FastEthernet0/1 as the connection to the ATT.

~~~

Hello, I will be honest that I am very new to this. Luckily I am trying to do something simple.

I have two devices that are unique here an ATT Pace 5268AC Modem Router that is responsible for Internet Access and DHCP, then a Cisco Catalyst 3560 that will be responsible for routing our home devices through one port that I can mirror and monitor.

I have a Vlan 50 setup to connect FastEthernet0/1 - 0/12 and Gigabit0/1 together and Vlan 50 is set to acquire its' IP address from the ATT router's DHCP service. I cannot set the Vlan's IP manually because the ATT router cannot find anything that does not connect with DHCP. With this setup normally I can get an IP from ATT for the Vlan50 and all works good thereafter; however the ATT router does misbehave and it has to be restarted. When it does get restarted the switch can no longer connect to the ATT router. Or when I restart the 3560 it does not seek a new DHCP assignment. This causes problems cause I need to perform some sort of ritual that can take anywhere from 10 minutes to three hours to get the 3560 to get a new DHCP assignment from the ATT router.

Ultimately I need to know how to improve this setup to have better reliability in retrieving an IP from DHCP for Vlan50. Or if there is a better method of accomplishing this.

Here is the configuration for the 3560, I am connected to it via console and telnet.

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1872 bytes
!
version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname CS0
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 
enable password 
!
no aaa new-model
system mtu routing 1500
ip subnet-zero
!
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 50

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/12
!
interface FastEthernet0/13
no switchport
ip address 192.168.10.15 255.255.255.0
!

!
interface FastEthernet0/23
no switchport
ip address dhcp
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
!
interface Vlan1
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface Vlan50
ip address dhcp
!
ip classless
ip http server
ip http secure-server
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
password 
login
line vty 5 15
password 
login
!
end

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Could be the port is taking to long to go into a stp forwarding state, apply the following

no switchport
ip address dhcp
switchport host

no int vlan 50 <-- not required as the same subnet is being used so you can just use L2 vlan on the access ports in vlan 50

Why do you need a dhcp server when you already have the ISP providing this function.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

HunterHage
Level 1
Level 1

This is what the console output looks like when I DO get an IP, normally after unplugging the cabel from one port and into another on the same Vlan. Normally this is my output but without the DHCP message.

~
*Mar 1 00:45:19.746: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/1, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:45:19.746: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan50, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:45:20.744: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/1, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:45:24.091: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
*Mar 1 00:45:25.097: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
*Mar 1 00:45:53.115: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan50, changed state to upInterface Vlan50 assigned DHCP address 192.168.50.21, mask 255.255.255.0

Hello

Could be the port is taking to long to go into a stp forwarding state, apply the following

no switchport
ip address dhcp
switchport host

no int vlan 50 <-- not required as the same subnet is being used so you can just use L2 vlan on the access ports in vlan 50

Why do you need a dhcp server when you already have the ISP providing this function.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card