cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping switch connected with fiber patch cable

don.bunt
Level 1
Level 1

Please excuse my weak skills in cisco switches. I have a cisco SG500-28 MPP with vlan1 assigned an ip address. I also have a cisco SG300-52MP with vlan1 assigned an ip address. I have a multi mode fiber patch cable connecting the two switches but I cant ping the other switch. If I connect a cat5 patch cable between the two switches I can ping the other switch. What port changes do I need to make on the fiber ports to be able to ping the other switch. All ports are on vlan 1

4 Replies 4

lpassmore
Level 1
Level 1

There are no 'special' port changes that you should need to make to the fibre ports to enable them to pass traffic.  Check you haven't put anything in that might actually stop it.  If the configuration is basically the same as the copper ports then traffic should flow normally.

First of all make sure that the fibre interfaces actually are up using the show interface command.  Check that the line protocol is up on both sides.  If not, check your fibre patching - try reversing the connectors.  Also make sure you don't have the corresponding copper ports patched because this will disable the fibre.  I'm not sure if there is a media-type command but you could make sure that is set correctly on the interface.

Once the line protocol is up, check the spanning tree for vlan 1 on both sides to ensure the fibre ports are listed "show spanning-tree vlan 1"

If this doesn't help, post your configurations as well as the results of 'show interface', 'show cdp neighbor' and 'show spanning-tree' commands

OK I think I have found the problem on my SG500-28MPP. Here is the port listing for the switch, 24 x 10/100/1000 (PoE+) + 2 x combo Gigabit SFP + 2 x SFP. It is the last two SFP ports that aren't working.  If I connect to the first two they work and I can ping the other switch. I need at least 3 fiber connections. How can I turn on the other two SFP ports?.

Hi you can only have 2 fibre or 2 copper in those ports its a hardware limitation , that's why its a combo ports , you cant have 3 or 4 turned on together  

I suspect that the device is configured in 'stacking mode'. You will need to set this to 'standalone' if you want the SFP ports to work.  Stacking mode is the default configuration but it can be turned off.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/cli_guide/CLI_500.pdf

stack standalone

To change all units in a stack to Standalone mode, meaning that they are no longer part of a stack, use the stack standalone Privileged EXEC command. The new configuration takes place after reboot.

Syntax: stack standalone [reboot]

Parameters reboot—(Optional) Perform reboot on all connected units in the stack, after changing the mode to Standalone.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card