Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Update Software

Chris Bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a Cisco WS-C2960G-48TC-L running 12.2(53)SE1.  I'm trying to upgrade to 12.2(55)SE1 via the web-based admin panel.  I've downloaded the tar file, but after browsing for it and clicking "Upgrade", the switch simply sits there in "loading the tar file to the switch".

It never progresses...

I've gone so far as even restarting the switch to try again.  No change.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Chris

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris,

Try using the command line interface with telnet into the device and a TFTP server and see if you still have the same issue

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Would you care to try CLI?

Mornin' fellas,

I'm perfectly willing to try that, but I'll be honest...  The last Cisco class I ever took was in 2006 and I barely understood it then.  And I've barely had any Cisco experience since...  A little worried I'll "brick" it.  LOL!

Would either of you be willing to provide me some helpful step-by-step instructions?  With that, I'd give it a whirl...

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

As you are willing to do, TFTP is the easiest. Load the .bin file on your PC. Start a TFTP server application on your PC (solarwinds has a very nice (and free) TFTP server). Then from the command prompt of the switch, copy the file from the TFTP server to the switch.

Follow the below link for full details:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/prod_release_note09186a00800810f3.html

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Naidu,

I'll give it a go.  Thanks!  This is a TAR file, though, not a BIN file.  Although I can doownload the BIN file if necessary.  Using the web-based admin panel, it's always wanted the TAR files...  Which one should I use?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

As per best practices use the .bin and upgrade from CLI through TFTP.

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,
Naidu.

If you have to use the web interface you have to use the .tar file . The .bin file has no gui files in it and will break that portion if you need  GUI.  Use the .bin if you use  CLI only.

Hi glen.grant,

I'd like to make sure I understand...  I understand that using TFTP, I need to use the BIN file.  But does this mean that once the BIN file is loaded, and that new IOS version is in there, the web admin panel will no longer exist?

Or am I wrong, and it will remain...?

Thanks!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card