cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't write to flash1: in a 3 switch stack

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I have a 3 switch stack at a remote office consisting of a 48 port 3750X, 24 port 3750X PoE, and a 48 port 3750v2.  Currently this stack is functioning normally and is running 12.2(55)SE3 (universal on the X's, ipservices on the 3750v2).  I want to upgrade to SE8 so that's 12.2(55)SE8 as I see in the release notes there are some vulnerabilities fixed in SSH.

For the life of me, I cannot copy the new file to flash1: which is the 24 port 3750X PoE.  This switch has 20 IP phones and 2 Cisco Access points on it and is vital to the branch office.  I have spare non poe switches but not spare poe switches (looking for approval), so go figure I am having the issue with the flash memory on this switch.

If I try to tftp the file c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin to flash1, I get Error opening flash1:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin (Bad file number).

I can get the file tftp'd to flash2 (the 48 port 3750X) fine, but if I try to copy it from flash2 to flash1, I get the same error (bad file number).

Cisco TAC reccomened format flash1: , so I tried that and get Error formatting flash1 (Device or resource busy).   OK so on my own I figure maybe its corrupt, lets run fsck /test flash1: and see.  NOPE can't run that either... Error fscking flash1: (Device or resource busy).   Ok now lets see if any other sessions are hung where something or someone has locked flash1... so I run systat and I am the only user on the switch stack.  Ok so no one else has a hung connection that may have had a write in process frozen.

So what should I do?  The uptime is 30 weeks, 23 hours, 3 minutes.  The last switch in the stack, the regular 3750v2 has an uptime of 15 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, 28 minutes because it was added to the stack back then. 

Anyway the network is fine and functioning... just looking to standardize all our 3750's to the 122-55.SE8 release because it is the one IOS that we've had the best luck with.

15 Replies 15

Hi sorry if this is really late to the party but just come across this as i had the same issue.

To fix it i had to change my USB dongle i was using and that fixed the issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card