cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot get into ROMMON on 3560V2

jameskuder
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560V2-48PS-S that has no IOS on it. I have tried all the break sequences and no go. All I get it this:

? -- Present list of available commands
        boot -- Load and boot an executable image
         cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
        copy -- Copy a file
      delete -- Delete file(s)
         dir -- List files in directories
  flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
      format -- Format a filesystem
        fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
        help -- Present list of available commands
      memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
       mkdir -- Create dir(s)
        more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
      rename -- Rename a file
       reset -- Reset the system
       rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
         set -- Set or display environment variables
      set_bs -- Set attributes on a boot sector filesystem
   set_param -- Set system parameters in flash
       sleep -- Pause (sleep) for a specified number of seconds
        type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)

unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
     version -- Display boot loader version

switch:

How can I get it to a point that I can copy an IOS into flash?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Somasundaram Jayaraman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

We need to use the xmodem procedure for recovering the switch from falling into rommon.

The below example shows an Xmodem procedure with the use             of HyperTerminal. The procedure is the same for any of the Catalyst fixed             configuration switches.

1. Issue the copy xmodem:                 flash:filename command on the                 switch.

Here is an example:

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
    CCC
  2. From the top of the HyperTerminal window, choose Transfer                 > Send File.

192-d.gif

3. Choose the Xmodem protocol in the Send File                 dialog box and click Browse in order to select the Cisco IOS                 image (.bin file) that you downloaded previously.

192-e.gif

4. Click Send in order to begin the Xmodem                 transfer.

192-f.gif

The Xmodem file transfer begins. This transfer can take up to 2                 hours, which depends on the size of the image.

CCCCCCC.........................................................................
    ................................................................................
    ................................................................................
    .............................................................................
    File "xmodem:" successfully copied to "flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"

!--- If the Xmodem file transfer fails for some reason, restart the process.
    !--- If the Xmodem file transfer is successful, you return to the 
    !--- switch: prompt.

switch:
  5. Boot the new image that you just copied over with the Xmodem             procedure.

Issue the boot             flash:filename command, as this example             shows:

switch: boot flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    Loading "flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"...###############################
    ################################################################################

!--- Output suppressed.

Press RETURN to get started!
    Switch>

!--- The bootup was successful.

Be sure to verify that your boot statements are set             correctly.

In order to speed up the xmodem recovery:

When a user tries to recover the switch from a corrupted or missing       IOS, the copy xmodem: flash:[IOS filename] command       might not be displayed under the switch: prompt.       The copy command might be displayed under the       switch: prompt, but not the copy       xmodem: command.

Complete these steps in order to speed up the Xmodem       recovery:

1. Set the baud rate to 115200 on the             switch: prompt.

switch: set BAUD 115200

!--- The screen goes blank after you enter this command.

2. Restart HyperTerminal.

3. Under COM PORT properties, select the bits per second as             115200. The switch: prompt is             displayed.

4. Start the Xmodem recovery.

5. After the Xmodem recovery, set the BAUD rate back to             9600. If the set BAUD 9600 command             does not bring the baud rate to 9600, issue the unset BAUD command in order to bring the baud rate to a default value             of 9600 bps.

Here is the link for the same

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Hope this helps

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

James,

You have omitted the filename directly after the xmodem: string, and also, it is possible you have used a special character (TAB key or arrow keys) for auto-completion or line edition. Note that these commands are not supported either in ROMMON or in bootloader environments, and instead will render your command to be unrecognized by the switch even if they visually appear to be correct.

Try using the following version of the command:

copy xmodem:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE2.bin flash:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE2.bin

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Somasundaram Jayaraman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

We need to use the xmodem procedure for recovering the switch from falling into rommon.

The below example shows an Xmodem procedure with the use             of HyperTerminal. The procedure is the same for any of the Catalyst fixed             configuration switches.

1. Issue the copy xmodem:                 flash:filename command on the                 switch.

Here is an example:

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
    CCC
  2. From the top of the HyperTerminal window, choose Transfer                 > Send File.

192-d.gif

3. Choose the Xmodem protocol in the Send File                 dialog box and click Browse in order to select the Cisco IOS                 image (.bin file) that you downloaded previously.

192-e.gif

4. Click Send in order to begin the Xmodem                 transfer.

192-f.gif

The Xmodem file transfer begins. This transfer can take up to 2                 hours, which depends on the size of the image.

CCCCCCC.........................................................................
    .............................................................................
    File "xmodem:" successfully copied to "flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"

!--- If the Xmodem file transfer fails for some reason, restart the process.
    !--- If the Xmodem file transfer is successful, you return to the 
    !--- switch: prompt.

switch:
  5. Boot the new image that you just copied over with the Xmodem             procedure.

Issue the boot             flash:filename command, as this example             shows:

switch: boot flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    Loading "flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"...###############################
    ################################################################################

!--- Output suppressed.

Press RETURN to get started!
    Switch>

!--- The bootup was successful.

Be sure to verify that your boot statements are set             correctly.

In order to speed up the xmodem recovery:

When a user tries to recover the switch from a corrupted or missing       IOS, the copy xmodem: flash:[IOS filename] command       might not be displayed under the switch: prompt.       The copy command might be displayed under the       switch: prompt, but not the copy       xmodem: command.

Complete these steps in order to speed up the Xmodem       recovery:

1. Set the baud rate to 115200 on the             switch: prompt.

switch: set BAUD 115200

!--- The screen goes blank after you enter this command.

2. Restart HyperTerminal.

3. Under COM PORT properties, select the bits per second as             115200. The switch: prompt is             displayed.

4. Start the Xmodem recovery.

5. After the Xmodem recovery, set the BAUD rate back to             9600. If the set BAUD 9600 command             does not bring the baud rate to 9600, issue the unset BAUD command in order to bring the baud rate to a default value             of 9600 bps.

Here is the link for the same

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Hope this helps

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

I tried the above and I am getting this

switch: ?
           ? -- Present list of available commands
        boot -- Load and boot an executable image
         cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
        copy -- Copy a file
      delete -- Delete file(s)
         dir -- List files in directories
  flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
      format -- Format a filesystem
        fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
        help -- Present list of available commands
      memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
       mkdir -- Create dir(s)
        more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
      rename -- Rename a file
       reset -- Reset the system
       rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
         set -- Set or display environment variables
      set_bs -- Set attributes on a boot sector filesystem
   set_param -- Set system parameters in flash
       sleep -- Pause (sleep) for a specified number of seconds
        type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
-- MORE --
       unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
     version -- Display boot loader version

switch: copy tftp flash
tftp: no such device

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE2.bin
modem:: no such device

James,

You have omitted the filename directly after the xmodem: string, and also, it is possible you have used a special character (TAB key or arrow keys) for auto-completion or line edition. Note that these commands are not supported either in ROMMON or in bootloader environments, and instead will render your command to be unrecognized by the switch even if they visually appear to be correct.

Try using the following version of the command:

copy xmodem:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE2.bin flash:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE2.bin

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for catching that. It works now!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card