Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping between 2 NIM-ES2-8 modules in the same ISR 4221

Hi,

I have a new ISR 4221 with 2 NIM-ES2-8 modules in it and the software version is Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.02.

I can not ping between 2 hosts connected on each of the modules. When I place the same 2 hosts on one either one of the modules I can ping fine between the hosts. does anyone know what the issue could be?

I would appreciate your support in this.

4 Replies 4

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi jaime@infotrans.cw,

Check what  this link says:

The 4- and 8-port Gigabit Ethernet LAN Switch NIMs provide line-rate Layer 2 switching across onboard Gigabit Ethernet ports. The 4-port NIM has four 10/100/1000 switched Gigabit Ethernet ports. The 8-port NIM has eight 10/100/1000 switched Gigabit Ethernet ports, with a PoE/PoE+ version capable of powering all eight ports. The NIMs furthermore enable direct module-to-module communication through the use of the multigigabit fabric (MGF).

Multigigabit Fabric

The LAN switch NIMs have a gigabit connection to the MGF and transparently integrate into the system. Connecting over the MGF enables the NIM to directly communicate with other MGF-enabled modules in the system without involving the router’s forwarding architecture (Figure 2). Throughput for direct module-to-module traffic using the MGF will thereby not be limited by the platform’s performance license levels. Layer 2 switching of packets is thus done at the full Gigabit Ethernet line rate, either local to each LAN switch NIM or when transferring the MGF with multiple MGF-enabled modules installed in the system; module-to-module MGF traffic throughput is limited to 1 Gbps.

Figure 2.      Direct Module-to-Module Connection Without Involving CPU

C78-612808-07_Figure02

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-612808.html

I hope this information will be useful to you

Regards

Hi Luis, thank you for your email. It certainly points me in the right direction. I have a question though. Do we need to download a module firmware to enable the MGF feature?

Krs,

Scott Plank
Level 1
Level 1

Did you find a solution for this? We are having the same issue on a 4321 with two NIM-ES2-8 modules on 16.9.2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card