Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot see downstream switches on the same subnet

czslrzccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

So we moved our layer 2 intersite network over to a mpls network we used to be able to telnet into all switches from any of our subnets we can now cannot get to any of the down stream switches without first logging into the cores (4500) or our demarcation switches (3560)

The layer 3 interfaces all live on the cores we have a static default to the 3560 and the 3560 has a static which points to our MPLS providers hsrp address the core and the 3550 live on the same management vlan 1 the same as the down stream switches so I am at a loss why I cannot see

the down stream switches but I can see both core and demarcation 3550

We also have the legacy eigrp running between the core and 3550 which sees all the subnets from the core advertised through eirgp

the only fix was to put a default route in each 2960 down stream switch to the 3550 and then it was ok

which has through me since the 3550 lives on the same subnet

any help would be appreciated

Thanks Steve 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If you want to reach your device remotely you need to include the commando on your switches:

ip default-gateway <ip of the management subnet>

PE = Provider Edge router, is a term of MPLS, These devices are handled by the ISP and MP-BGP is configured on them to create the VPNs.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi

Please correct me if Im wrong, you want to  reach the access switches from a remote site using your MPLS network, right?

Have you included the management IP of the devices (or the subnet) into the routing protocol distributed into the MPLS? Is the PE receiving this routes? Not sure if the PE is handled by the ISP. The ISP could be using any kind of filtering inside the MPLS.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio

Yes your correct I want to reach  the access switches from a remote site using my MPLS network,

yes they have  included the management IP of the devices (or the subnet) into the routing protocol distributed into the MPLS

there is no filtering at all with the ISP interestingly I just put the default gateway in the access switches to the 3550 on the same subnet and I started to get receiving pings when pinging from another site I then took out the default gateway in the access switch and the pings still kept working ?

sorry not sure what you mean by PE

so I put in the default gateway in the access switch then took it back out and now I can telnet into the switch its like its not arping properly to the 3550 even though they are on the same subnet this is the same issue for all our sites 5 in total

Hi,

If you want to reach your device remotely you need to include the commando on your switches:

ip default-gateway <ip of the management subnet>

PE = Provider Edge router, is a term of MPLS, These devices are handled by the ISP and MP-BGP is configured on them to create the VPNs.

:-)

Hi Julio

if I have my whole subnet 10.20.0..0 advertised by the mpls router and all my devices on the same subnet surely if they can get to the layer 3 interface they should be able to get to my devices ?

ie I can get to my router 10.20.0.1 and 10.20.0.2 they are advertinsing the whole subnet they should be able to get to 10.20.0.3-254 shouldn't they

incidently I noticed on the 3560

Feb 15 10:53:12: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 0000.0c9f.f001 in vlan 1 is flapping between port Gi0/1 and port Gi0/2
Feb 15 10:53:25: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 0000.0c9f.f001 in vlan 1 is flapping between port Gi0/1 and port Gi0/2

*Mar  1 00:01:17: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/27, changed state to up
*Mar  1 00:01:18: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 100: Neighbor 10.20.0.1 (Vlan1) is up: new adjacency
*Mar  1 00:01:18: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to up

they are my uplinks to the mpls routers which have HSRP configured

Hi, 

Yes you should be able to reach them, but if you are going to reach the management IP of the switches remotely, I mean via SSH or Telnet, ip default-gateway should be implemented unless you are using any kind of routing on the them where an IP is being advertised.

About 

Feb 15 10:53:12: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 0000.0c9f.f001 in vlan 1 is flapping between port Gi0/1 and port Gi0/2

it could be originated by a layer 2 loop. Try to identify that MAC address. 

Its the MPLS router that's causing the issues

The layer 2 switch management address are on vlan 1 which is trunked to the 4500 core and the layer 3 interface is being advertised via eirgp to the 3550 but that also  also sits on the subnet and the whole subnet is advertised via the MPLS routers

so I should be able to ping the layer 3 interface which I can and also any other devices on that subnet 

or am I missing something ?

You are right, from the core you should be able to reach every IP on your network, but just for testing purposes, from other subnet can you able to reach the switches always on the same site?

yes from every site core I can reach each of the connected down stream switches

on its subnet

I have a different subnet on the core and I can reach the down stream switches with no issues

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Steve

Can you show us a diagram of where the switches sit and what is connected to what?

Thanks

here is the diagram its the same for all sites

3550 static route to mpls 4500 static route 3550

eirgp running between 3550 and core layer 3 int faces on 4500

down stream switches 2960 layer 2 trunks to core

management vlan is vlan 1

czslrzccna
Level 1
Level 1

so it appears that Eigrp was redistributing the statics across the old Lan extension ccts  so I could see all the subnet using  EIGRP external, but when we moved to the MPLS we could not see them

so I have to put in the default gateway of the 3550 in each switch so they have a route out over the mpls

The Eigrp is just advertising from the core to 3550 and the 3550 has a default route to the MPLS HSRP address

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card