cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cant ping from pc , can ping from switch

def332233
Level 1
Level 1

ok this is very strange . 50 - 100 switches  i can ping 80% of them fine . 4 or 5 switches  on my network i cant ping from the pc .

but if i go directly to the switch i have the computer connected to that is 5 hops away from the other switch and any in between . i can ping and reach the switch that i cant ping . . the switches are 3560 24 and 48 port. i can ping many other switches on my mgt vlan . juse these 4 intermitanlty stop pinging from the pc . but can from the switch , the switch can ping it all day long .

i can watch the pings timeout from the pc to the switch i am having issues with . after a few hours it will ping form the pc . then go back out .

no pattern . it is not all switches just 4 or 5   out of 100 . useing whats up gold  and it can do a ping to all . and only the four that intermittently cant ping from pc . . and i can even ping the next one down stream  from the switch i cant ping . anyone come across a issue like this ?

pc sometimes can ping ---- switch 1 (ping 100%all the time 0---- switch2 (can ping ) ------ switch 3(no ping intermittent )-------switch 4(can ping )

pc connected to switch 1 cannot ping switch 3 but can ping switch 4, 2 and 1  (sometimes it can ping but goes out ,times out )

switch 1 can ping switch 2,3 ,4 all the time no issues

2 Replies 2

dukenuk96
Level 3
Level 3

Can you share full configurations with inter-switch connections descripted?

joneaton
Level 1
Level 1

Are all the addresses within the same subnet ? If not are all the masks and default gateways configured correctly ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card