Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant power access point from 3560 switch

iankearns
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all

Have previously been powering a number of TP-Link EAP-110 access points via individual PoE power injectors however to try and tidy up I want to connect them through to my Cisco 3560 switch. My understanding that the 3560 offers 15.4W over all 24 ports??

When taking the cable to the access points from the PoE power injector and plugging it into the port on the switch then the AP fails to power on. I have set the power inline to AUTO and also a MAX of 15.4W but still no sign of life.

The power consumption from the overall ports shows zero; it is as though it doesnt see the AP at all.

Can anyone assist in why this would be? The AP only pulls approx 7W so the 3560 should be sufficient?

TIA

Ian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi
I check that AP online says its passive POE which means no 802.3af , if thats the right AP so looks like miss match of supported POE types

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap110/#specifications

Passive PoE usually refers to any device using PoE that is not 802.3af or 802.3at.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
could be an unsupported POE type there are a few out there , the 3560 supports the below
whats does the AP support
The POE is working if you stick a phone in yes just to rule out the switch POE

he Cisco® Catalyst® 3560 Series is a line of fixed-configuration, enterprise-class switches that include IEEE 802.3af

Hi
I check that AP online says its passive POE which means no 802.3af , if thats the right AP so looks like miss match of supported POE types

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap110/#specifications

Passive PoE usually refers to any device using PoE that is not 802.3af or 802.3at.

Thanks to those who replied. Looks like this network slim-down is postponed :(
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card