cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 4006 Management Port Configuration

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 4006 switch in production. The Management port on Sup-II is assigned IP as shown below.

set interface sc0 5 10.10.10.1/255.255.255.0

set interface sc0 up

When I directly connect a desktop to this port I can not ping/telnet. However if I connect the desktop to a  L2 port on module 3 (vlan 5), I can conenct/telnet. What else do I need to configure?

Also how can I assign the IP address to the management port on L3 routing module?

Thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Eugene Lau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Avilt!

sc0 is a logical interface connected to the switch fabric, which means that you can connect to this interface by any port on the switch in the same VLAN.

In your case, you've validated this with the PC on VLAN 5.

Me1 is not connected to the switch fabric, so ports on the switch can send traffic to ME1. I use ME1 to recover corrupt or lost boot images.

here's a good reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008010e9ca.shtml

In relation to the L3 Routing Module, are you referring to a WS-X4232-L3?

If so, it uses a similar logic to configuring a "router on a stick". There are two logical interfaces in this module which you can see when you session to it.

See this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080094959.shtml

HTH

Eugene

View solution in original post

Hi Avilt,

I updated the links to ensure they are public. Could you recheck if you can acces these?

Just a note, remember, even though sc0 is logical, it can have a port associated by simply having the port in the same VLAN.

Eg. sc0 in vlan 999, port 2/10 in vlan 999. All other ports are on VLAN 5,6,7. From a Layer2 perspective, the sc0 is isolated from normal Data traffic. In this situation, we would need a Layer3 device to beable to connect to sc0 from the network (if you need to connect from a different subnet).

We refer to sc0 as inband management

If you are looking for an out-of-band management solution, that is you connect to devices via a separate network, you may use ME1.

HTH

Eugene

If you continue to have problems Avilt, you can shoot an email to web-help@cisco.com to see if there's anything restricting your registered account from accessing the links. Hopefully, the web team can sort you out

9 Replies 9

Eugene Lau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Avilt!

sc0 is a logical interface connected to the switch fabric, which means that you can connect to this interface by any port on the switch in the same VLAN.

In your case, you've validated this with the PC on VLAN 5.

Me1 is not connected to the switch fabric, so ports on the switch can send traffic to ME1. I use ME1 to recover corrupt or lost boot images.

here's a good reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008010e9ca.shtml

In relation to the L3 Routing Module, are you referring to a WS-X4232-L3?

If so, it uses a similar logic to configuring a "router on a stick". There are two logical interfaces in this module which you can see when you session to it.

See this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080094959.shtml

HTH

Eugene

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I cannot access these links, says, Forbidden File or Application.

If it's a logical interface, what is the need for physical management port, where we can plug in the lan cable?

Hi Avilt,

I updated the links to ensure they are public. Could you recheck if you can acces these?

Just a note, remember, even though sc0 is logical, it can have a port associated by simply having the port in the same VLAN.

Eg. sc0 in vlan 999, port 2/10 in vlan 999. All other ports are on VLAN 5,6,7. From a Layer2 perspective, the sc0 is isolated from normal Data traffic. In this situation, we would need a Layer3 device to beable to connect to sc0 from the network (if you need to connect from a different subnet).

We refer to sc0 as inband management

If you are looking for an out-of-band management solution, that is you connect to devices via a separate network, you may use ME1.

HTH

Eugene

I still can not access the links. Thank You.

There is no issue with the link Eugene provided

It prompts for login, after the successful login (cisco forums login) it says Forbidden...

Open a new Internet explorer and copy and paste the URL

If you continue to have problems Avilt, you can shoot an email to web-help@cisco.com to see if there's anything restricting your registered account from accessing the links. Hopefully, the web team can sort you out

alright, now the second link works.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card