cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT 6500 SUP1A Recovery of CiscoIOS from ROMMON

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

Customer is running Native IOS on his SUP1A module and it has some intermittent problem and we want to replace his SUp1A module.

So we ordered a spare SUP1A and a spare 24 MB PCMCIA card.

We received a spare module which later we wanted to install on a customer system because customer's SUP1A is experiencing an intermittent problem.

We wanted to keep the maintenance window on customer's CORE switch as short as possible and wanted to swap the spare SUP1A (and spare PCMCIA) for customer's SUP1A on customer's CAT 6500 and not use any part from customer's SUP1A including customer's PCMCIA card.

So we put the spare SUP1A in our lab switch and found that it did not have any image and hence went to ROMMON mode.

I saw the following article:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

But this article is taking about using xmodem to load the Flash of the MSFC module.

What we want to load is Native IOS image

c6sup11-pk2sv-mz.121-22.E1.bin into a spare 24 MB PCMCIA card because this is the same image customer has on his CAT 6500 slot0.

So we did

rommon1>xmodem -c

and then started xmodem Send from Hyperterm on Laptop.

Something is happening as I write this forum note and has already taken an hour and has transfered a large amount of data.

How can I be sure that the data is going to the spare PCMCI 24 MB card in slot 0 on our lab switch, because the xmodem command does not ask for where the destination file should go into. So how can I tell it is going to PCMCA. If it tries to put in bootflash it will eventaully fail because the bootflash is only 16 MB and the file is larger than that.

Can xmodem be told to put the file in slot0 bootflash and not bootflash.

1 Reply 1

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

The following article only says how to load the boot loader into MSFC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

What if the PCMCIA card is blank and the sup-bootflash is blank, which is my case?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card