Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 9300 not registering 8 port 10Gb module

slfashley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

We have a C9300-24T switch, (switch2) in a 2 switch stack that wont initialize a c9300-nm-8x module.

The c9300-nm-8x module works fine in other switches.

Switch 1 in the stack has a c9300-nm-8x module working perfectly.

After removing the c9300-nm-8x 10Gb module and re-installing the previously working c9300-nm-4g module, it then also would not initialize via hot swap.

It was necessary to power off and cold boot the switch to reinitialize the 4 x 1Gb module to get it working again.

Cold boot did not work for the 8port 10Gb module at all.

Basic Stack details

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 41 C9300-24T 17.06.04 CAT9K_IOSXE INSTALL
2 41 C9300-24T 17.06.04 CAT9K_IOSXE INSTALL

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active 04eb.403d.b800 15 V03 Ready
2 Standby 482e.728d.e500 1 V05 Ready

The only thing i notice is switch 2 is HW ver 05 and active switch 1 is HW ver 03. this is the only C9300 stack we have in service that has different HW versions, tho all the posts i have seen on Community suggest HW version is irrelevant ?

Has anyone encountered a similar issue.

The problem we have is this switch stack is in other part of the country making troubleshooting a bit complicated .. perhaps we are missing something that can be fixed remotely ?

many thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@slfashley wrote:
It was necessary to power off and cold boot the switch to reinitialize the 4 x 1Gb module to get it working again.

Cold reboot the stack several times. 

And no, I am not joking.

View solution in original post

thank you .. will checkout that bug

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@slfashley wrote:

Cold reboot the stack several times. 

And no, I am not joking.

-  @Leo Laohoo  As usual I appreciate your eternal knowledge forever (LOL) , but then it would be added value to explain why this can help.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 wrote:
 -  @Leo Laohoo  As usual I appreciate your eternal knowledge forever (LOL) , but then it would be added value to explain why this can help.

The process that manages the NM is stuck.  "reload" command will not change anything.  Cold reboot is the only way. I suspect two or three cold-reboot will "unlock" this process back to enable the NM to re-initialize.  

Cold-Reboot is going to be everyone's favorite "workaround" because IOS-XE is very buggy.

thank you ... we will definitely try this when we visit the site again.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...The problem we have is this switch stack is in other part of the country making troubleshooting a bit complicated 
 - It would be advisable to scrutinize the boot process (e.g.). Perhaps someone could connect a console and keep a PuTTY log and send it to you  , also check the logs just after boot , in both cases look for : https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvh85987 and or if related info's come up. In that context you could have a go with :
                  https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286313829/type/282046477/release/Bengaluru-17.6.5

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

thank you .. will checkout that bug

Just a sh*ts-n-giggles, try upgrading to 17.10.1.

twalsh1
Level 1
Level 1

Encountered this running 17.09.05. Both modules in a two switch stack disappeared after power outage. Power cycles cleared one but only removing the module between power cycles finally cleared the second.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card