Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat2960 error to save running to startup configuration

Rojer-bkk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Expert,

I got trouble when tried to save configuration by 'write memory' command.

cisco WS-C2960-48PST-L (PowerPC405) processor (revision G0) with 65536K bytes of memory.
Cisco IOS Software, C2960 Software (C2960-LANBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(52)SE,RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Cat2960#wr

Building configuration...

% Warning: Saving this config to nvram may corrupt any network management or security files stored at the end of nvram.

Continue? [no]: no
% Configuration buffer full, can't add command:

After this message continue typing "yes" sometime that switch reload all times. The service compress-config command is not available anymore. Anyone have ever seen before and how to resolve the problem? Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Eugene Khabarov
Level 7
Level 7

Please show us:

sh running-config | i Current configuration

dir nvram:

Also it may be helpful to enable "service compress-config"

dsolangon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi that is the indication that you are having a bad nvram it was already corrupted . Most the switches with that status are reported to Cisco RMA.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

The config size is bigger than nvram. I have to save the config into flash instead and boot config from new location

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

ajranslam
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a really old post but we ran into this issue when we were trying to configure ISE on a 48 port 2960, and I wanted to share what worked for me.  In our case the config was too large for the NVRAM buffer after adding in all of the ISE related commands on 48 ports.  On the 2960 switch model I was not able to do a "service compress-config" as recommended earlier, but I was able to change the NVRAM buffer size from 64KB to 128KB (requires a reboot of the switch) so that it could fit the new config I had. 

The command to increase the buffer is "boot buffersize" followed by the size you want to make the buffer.

Thanks for solution ajranslam.I'm very appreciated. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: