Helpful
Replies

Catalist 6500 limit bandwith need !!!

Oleg Gnedykh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dear ALL !!!

I have a Catalist 6500 with WS-X6748-GE-TX and SUP720

How can I restrict bandwidth on whole trunk port ?

For example:

int g1/1

sw mode trunk 

sw trunk allowed vlan 1,2,3...xxx

So I need restrict L2 speed whole interface 1m/s

6 Replies 6

Martin Hruby
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Oleg

You can just create a simple QoS policy with a basic per-interface aggregate policer and apply it to a physical interface to limit the traffic. For example:

policy-map P_INBOUND_LIMIT_1M
 class class-default
    police 1000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
!
interface gigabitEthernet1/1
 service-policy input P_INBOUND_LIMIT_1M

To monitor the inbound policer you can use: show policy-map interface gigabitEthernet1/1

For reference see: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/qos.html#wp1751025

Best regards,
Martin

Hi Martin!

Thank you for your answer!

I have created policy like yours, but it worked fo IN only :(

But I need policy for two-way work.

--------cut-----------

6506(config-if)#service-policy output rest_test
MQC features are not supported in output direction for this interface

--------cut-----------

Oleg

On the Catalyst 6500 series platform, layer 2 interfaces only support an inbound policer. To apply an outbound policer using MQC you need to configure the service-policy under a layer 3 interface or an SVI. So in your case, I would apply the policy under an "interfact vlan 1", "interface vlan 2", etc. in the output direction. That way you specify an outbound rate-limit per VLAN.

For more details about QoS on the Catalyst 6500 platform see: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11_538840.html

Best regards,
Martin

It's good of couse,  but now I will have a same bandwidth for different vlans but not a sum.

But I need restrict a sum bandwidth for whole port for IN and OUT  :(

It's need if clients add his vlans so sum bandwidth will can't exceed fixed threshold.

Oleg

To limit outbound traffic you might want to look at traffic shaping. With shaping, packets exceeding the pre-configured traffic-rate are not dropped but buffered and sent at a later time. For example a simple MQC-based shaper can be applied on a physical port (trunk) in outbound direction to shape the average traffic rate to 1 Mbps:

policy-map P_OUTBOUND_LIMIT_1M
 class class-default
    shape average 1000000

interface gigabitEthernet1/1
 service-policy output P_OUTBOUND_LIMIT_1M

Depending on your supervisor engine and IOS version it's possible that absolute shaping rates might not be configurable. In that case configure interface bandwidth and shape using a percentage of that value (e.g. shape average percent 1).

Best regards,
Martin

I am not lucky again :(

-----------------

6506(config-if)#service-policy output temp
MQC features are not supported in output direction for this interface

-----------------

I think there is a key phrase "MQC features are not supported..."  :(

Thus, I can't use MQC on L2 OUT  in principle :(  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card