Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 not connecting internet

yener_ibrahim
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I bought refurbished Catalyst 2950. I followed all steps(even ip address and subnetmask and ..etc) guided in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_example09186a00801cac4c.shtml#trbl6 and....

no thing happen, my computer doesn't connect internet. I guess switch has no routing.

I am totally inexperienced with network. Before bought that, i thought it is plug and play type. And now having some serious issue which i have to configure

via telnet and/or ssh.

This going to be a silly question but Have any idea ?

Regards

12 Replies 12

The catalyst 2950 is purley a layer 2 switch. That is to say it does not do routing.  you would need to place a router between the switch and the connection that goes to the internet to get connectivity or purchase a layer 3 switch.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Router was already replaced between switch and internet.

My switch is working now however, i have a tiny problem.

Switch doesn't work if put it between router and servers.

I take connection from router to my ex-switch and from ex-switch to new cisco switch and then to servers. It is working  with this route.

Why it doesn't direct?

I  purchased new cisco router as well and i am going to replace with my ex-router too. Should i care something else? Does it have any hidden tricks?

is it a brand new switch or second hand switch?  If it is a second hand switch, there might still be VLAN configurations on it that is preventing traffic flow.

The other thing that might be hindering the connection is the lack of default gateway on the switch.

issue the command ip default-gateway 1.1.1.1 (where 1.1.1.1 is the internal IP address of the router). This will tell the switch to send all traffic destined for an unknown network to the router.

--

Thanks for reply.

Let's say if my ip address is 123.456.789.111 and should i  replace it ip default-gateway 123.456.789.111 ?

And yes, switch is second hand. I erase everything and return back to factory default (i hope).

hi ibrahim,

kindly post your network diagram and configurations of your router and switch in order to assist you better. are your clients and servers on the same VLAN? if not, try performing a router-on-a-stick solution. see link below:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1853/Cisco_switch_802_1q_trunk_to_router_on_a_stick/

Hello

My current network diagram is below. I want to get rid of old switch and replace it with cisco switch.

BTW: Sorry for graphic. Lack of photoshop skill

What brand is the router?

What brand was the old switch?

Connect the 2950 directly to the router, then on the switch issue the following command ip default-gateway

Is the 2950 a new switch or used switch?

Would it be possible for you to copy paste the current 2950 sanitized configuration and the router config if possible?

--

I have no idea about Old Router. Because it cames with ISP

Old Switch is buffalo.

There is no configuration in 2950 because i reset to factory default(I hope i did).

What you mean "inside ip of router" is that 192.168.1.1(this is old-router's local ip address)

Please forgive my ignorance. i am totally noob about network.

So the old router is the one that is in use now?

if so then the command would be ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

Also make sure that the client machines on the network also have an IP within that same IP range.

--

Thank you for your reply.

I really appreciated it.

All server machines has own static ip. Only WinXP get ip from dhcp.

Also, old router ip address is 192.168.1.1 but My ISP told me that router also need a static ip address and i assigned 114.179.xxx.161 as router' static IP.

I am able to login Router's User Interface through Browser by typing 192.168.1.1 not sure about typing 114.179.xxx.161 in browser works or not.

Based on this, which IP do i have to assign to switch?

Lord!!! why networking is so difficult?

r u able the ping default gateway from server after disconnecting the older switch ?

default gateway must be the ip address of router (internal interface)

if u r not able to ping default gateway

then ckeck

ping default gateway from switch (2950 new)

sh ip int brief

sh run

also check speed and duplex

Hi,

Marius is correct. You should configure the "ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1" command on your 2950 switch in order for your servers to reach the router.

Switch#configure terminal

Switch(config)#ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card