Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 unable to delete config from Flash - permission denied

Jim Layland
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently undergoing an online traing course for CCNA and have just completed a section explaining how to set the boot system option. This triggered a memory of me having an old 2950 switch from a company I used to work which I acquired after they had a switch refresh.

I have located the switch and searched how I can recover it as it is currently protected with a password I do not know. I have booted the switch and held the "mode" button to get it to the "switch:" prompt and followed the instructions found here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html?referring_site=RE&pos=1&page=http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-121-mainline/6130-index.html

dir flash:  -  produced a list of files in Flash memory and while I couldn't see what looked to be an active config file, there was a file named "config.test.renamed", however, on attempting to delete it I received  a "permission denied" error. This also happen with the files "private-config.text.renamed" and "vlan.dat".

2950-Flash.jpg

I have found articles on others aspects relating to rommon but nothing identifying with type of error.

Can anyone help please?

Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-   Try delete flash:config.test.renamed

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-   Try delete flash:config.test.renamed

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks M.

That's worked a treat   8-)

Aijaz Rehman
Level 1
Level 1

Always use flash:   to view or rename or delete a file.

here is the complete process how you reset switch to factory default but make sure you will loose everything. 

Step 1.

Connect up your console cable and power on the switch, whilst holding down the “mode” button:

Step 2.

Initialize the flash file system with the command: flash_init

Step 3.

Delete the config.text file from the flash directory:

switch: del flash:config.text

Are you sure you want to delete "flash:config.text" (y/n)?y

File "flash:config.text" deleted

Step 4.

Delete the vlan.dat file from the flash directory:

switch: del flash:vlan.dat

Are you sure you want to delete "vlan.dat" (y/n)?y

File "flash:vlan.dat" deleted