Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960-s POE with pre-standard IP Phones

Usjes0000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Catalyst 2960-S switch and a pre-standard IP Phone (Cisco 7960). When I connect the phone to the switch the switch recognizes the phone and supplies power. I would like to prevent this behaviour. ie. I would like to disable detection of pre-standard equipment. Is there a command I can issue on the 2960-S to do this?

For example, on a switch from a different vendor I can issue the command:

no power pre-std-detect

to prevent it from detecting the 7960 phone, is there an equivalent command on the Catalyst 2960-S ?

Thanks,

Usjes

3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Usjes,

I dont believe we have any way to detect this.

I can think of the alternate way for you not sure if this is feasible. The way is that you can permanently dislable the port from providing the power from it and the command to turn off POE: power inline never.

never  (power inline never)

—Data interface only The supervisor engine never powers up the interface, even if an unpowered phone is connected. This mode is only needed when you want to make sure power is never applied to a PoE-capable interface

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Hi Inayath,

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I have already tried the 'power inline never' command and it's not what I'm looking for. The problem is that this command disables detection of all IP Phones. I want to disable the detection of pre-standard phones only but leave the detection of 802.3af phones enabled. So if I attach a pre-standard Phone (eg the Cisco 7960) I would like the switch to do nothing but if I detect a 802.3af compliant phone I would like the switch to detect it and supply power. This may not be possible with the Catalyst.

Usjes.

Hmmmm ... not sure.  But I think 802.1x would be able to.

Unfortunately, Catalyst 2K will never (ever) support EEM but this would've worked.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card