cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960X-48TS-L won't POST after OS Update - Stops at "executing" after passing digital signature verification

TAKTTX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Updated the Catalyst 2960X-48TS-L from 15.2.2E7-MD to 15.2.5bE -ED unsing the Cisco Network Assistant. The update status reported that the operation was a success and I needed to reload the switch which I did. However, during the POST the console shows that it freezes attempting to execute the flash file. 

freeze at execution.png

meanwhile, all the LEDs on the switch are off. Restarting the switch also results in the same process.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you go back to 15.2(2)E7 will the switch boot successfully?

I can't do that since everything freeze up and I can't send any more commands to the switch using the terminal.

You will need to force the switch into ROMmon and boot the new IOS using USB flash drive.

I have never done that before, any tips or links to guide me on how to do it?

I did some research into what you had suggested, unfortunately the 2960X has no ROMmon mode. What it has is an over simplified switch mode when you force the switch to boot into what is otherwise a ROMmon mode in the Cisco routers.

switch mode.png

Also, it keeps on failing trying to boot from the USB for some reason despite the USB being formatted in FAT:

USB.png

I tried FAT32 as well and also another USB flash with the same outcome.

See the first picture with the prompt of "switch:"?  That's already ROMmon. 

Use a USB that the 2960X can detect, I have been recommending using Samsung Bar 16 Gb (image below).  

Format using FAT 16 and load the BIN file into it.  The command to force the switch to boot the IOS from the USB is "boot usbflash0:<filename>.bin"".

Samsung Bar 16 GbSamsung Bar 16 Gb

Well as I had mentioned in my previous post, with the screen shots, I had already tried that with this flash drive formatted in FAT16: Its a simple 2 gigabyte USB stick that I use for pretty much all my other Admin tasks.

Joy Fish.jpeg

I also tried it with a HP 16 Gig USB stick which closely resembles the one you had suggested, and since I do not have the one you had suggested.

HP USB.jpeg

But again I get the same results: 

USB02.png

for some reason it seems that the Switch don't recognize the format (FAT16) on either one

USB03.png

I have tried both USB ports on the device, and as mentioned before I also tried FAT32, but to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card