cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560G configuration views

houston1910
Level 1
Level 1

I recently installed 3 new switches and did some intensive port work on them. like setting duplex, speed and channel-modes to them. And I'm still fairly a newbie trying to be a CCNA one day, but I keep seeing my ports go up and down.. like ports that have regular things attached. Like Pcs and printers. Is this normal?? Also I do have a lot of traffic on these switches because everyone hits the server on a constant basis and it feels like my lights are always blinking fast... I never see traffic slow down.. is there some commands that I can use to monitor?? perhaps see what port is creating the most traffic and then set duplex or speed options to accomadate traffic?

Thanks any help would awesome.

2 Replies 2

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Samuel,

The ports may go down in case PCs connected to those ports reboot and its expected. Following are some commands that are helpful in monitoring the state of the switches:

show controller utilization: total switch bandwidth utilization

show interface | i line|rate|drop : input/output rate and drops if any. This can be used to find out which interface has max traffic.

show proc cpu sort | ex 0.0 : CPU utlization

show proc cpu hist : profile history of CPU utilization over last 1 min, 1hr, 3 days

show log: logs for all the events on the switch

show proc mem sort: DRAM utlization on switch

sh interface gi x/y: detailed information about interface rate, drops, errors, reset, timers, speed, duplex etc.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please rate if you found the content useful

Thanks for commands.

I do understand that PCs turn off, but this is happening too much. Computers arent turning off at all and its still showing the port go down then come up. I just feel like its not right.

I also have 2 of my switches interconnected using a special cisco cable that im not sure of the name now but its like a fiber transceiver. Heres the config I have, I just want to make sure it looks ok..

I have this set on switch 1 and switch 2 on ports 51 and 52

channel-group 1 mode desirable non-silent

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card