cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750G can not connect via terminal/console port

DC1966
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3750G switches, one I can connect to via the terminal/console port using Putty, the other I can not. I have connected a couple of servers and PCs to the troublesome switch and it works OK. Does anyone have suggestions why I can not establish a connection with this switch? I have tried all the baud rates but it still does not connect. Are there license or OS issues I need to be aware of? The other switch connects no problem so I know the connecting setup is working.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @DC1966 ,

is the switch configured for allowing telnet or SSH connections ?

In some cases for software bugs that cause memory leakage a switch can be so bussy that it can not allocate memory for a telnet/SSH session or even a console session.

If you can try to reboot the switch and try again.

if the problem is a memory leakage it takes many hours of uptime to consume the memory.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

DC1966
Level 1
Level 1

Making this post to close this question:

Decided to open the switch to see if there was an obvious mechanical or electrical reason the console port was not working. Discovered a small chip adjacent to the port badly burnt.

Hello @DC1966 ,

thanks for your feedback!  so it was an hardware issue the chip that was burnt is probably the UART that manages the console async serail port.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello

Thank you for the feedback, I have never come across such a problem as this before regarding the root cause is hardware pertaining to the console port, so good to know.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card