Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3850 12S full reset

Hi,

I have been given a second hand 3850 switch that was not reset.

I have managed to do a factory-reset config to clear the startup config and regain access to the switch, but would like to go one step further and fully wipe it to start over.

As it is a few versions behind IOS, I was thinking my best bet is to do a factory-reset all, which clears everything, then upload the latest IOS image to the unit.

Would this be a sensible approach?

Can anyone point me to any guide on how to upload the latest IOS after doing a factory-reset all?

Many thanks

James

24 Replies 24

I think you need to boot off the USB and then when it is up copy the IOS into flash ie. from your switch prompt - 

boot usbflash0:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin

Jon

Thanks!

I did wonder if that might be what I'd need to do, so will give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers

James

Ok I have booted from the image on the USB drive, and run through the first time setup and saved the new config to NVRAM.

I'm not entirely sure how to now get the image extracted to flash? The image file was copied over, but when trying to run the commands in the cisco documentation:

software install file flash:cat3k.......

It just doesn't find "software" as a valid command.

Is this because booting from USB boots to bundle mode, rather than install mode?

Not sure how to proceed.

Cheers

James 

Can't you just copy it - 

copy usbflash0:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin flash:

Jon

The IOS bin file has already been copied to flash, but the switch does not auto boot it.

I believe I now need to extract/install the image so that the switch boots from the image on flash by default, which is where I'm currently stuck.

Many thanks

James

It is as you say because it is in bundle mode not install mode. 

If the image is in flash then try telling the switch to load the IOS on boot - 

boot system flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin

and then reboot and it should load IOS. 

Jon

My understanding of what this does, is just tells the switch to autoload the image in the same way I was manually booting it from USB/flash?

I think this boots to BUNDLE mode though, and not INSTALL, as is the recommendation?

Switch Ports Model              SW Version        SW Image              Mode
------ ----- -----              ----------        ----------            ----
*    2 20    WS-C3850-12S       16.12.05b         CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9 BUNDLE

Booting...(use DDR clock 667 MHz)
Interface GE 0 link down***ERROR: PHY link is down
The "IP_ADDR" environment variable is not set.
Reading full image into memory.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................done
Bundle Image
--------------------------------------
Kernel Address    : 0x537766e4
Kernel Size       : 0x438356/4424534
Initramfs Address : 0x53baea3a
Initramfs Size    : 0x1ab68c1/28010689
Compression Format: mzip

Bootable image at @ ram:0x537766e4
Bootable image segment 0 address range [0x81100000, 0x81da5280] is in range [0x80180000, 0x90000000].
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
File "flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x81895bf0
Loading Linux kernel with entry point 0x81895bf0 ...
Bootloader: Done loading app on core_mask: 0x3f

Many thanks

James

Can you post dir output after booting

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Do you want this after booting without loading the image, or after the image has been copied to flash and booted?

Thanks

James

@Martin L wrote:

just delete config file which is used for start up configuration.

Just a reminder, this is a switch with IOS-XE.  Classic IOS behaves differently to IOS-XE. 

And another reminder to everyone, there are some buggy SMU releases.  A few of the SMU releases will "cling on" regardless the firmware version.  It is an "undocumented feature".  A bug.  

When I say "cling on", the best example is the SMU for 1612.X.  Install an SMU for, say, 16.12.4, and then upgrade it to 16.12.5 and watch the console.  You will observe that even though the SMU is "not compatible" to 16.12.5, 16.12.6 or 16.12.7, the system will attempt to load the SMU meant for 16.12.4.  

The most effective way to get rid of the pesky "clingers" is to perform a "factory-reset all".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card