cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500X Bootflash and SD card

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, please let me know how to utilize the SD card memory for keeping more IOS files in 4500X series switches. What is the command to store image in SD card instead of Bootflash:

I also need to know if I do not have an SD card, but the switch Bootflash has enough memory so can I keep 3 images at the same time in Bootflash?

Will it slow down the switch operation or NVRAM won't let the performance go down since 4500X series has 2GB NVRAM.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Is the Bootflash of 4500x is really 2Gb?

Yes, you are correct. The data sheet does not mention the flash size. So, I looked at a live switch and was able to determine the 2Gig.  If you have a switch, you can simply issue "sh flash" and add all the numbers.  It is not exactly 2Gig but it is close to it. For example, I see below numbers:

1293996032 bytes available (312090624 bytes used)

So, if you add the available bytes to bytes used, the total is about 1.5Gig.  With some overhead, I think the flash card is 2Gig but regardless of the size, there is enough room for at least 3 images.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should not SD card as the flash on the 4500x is about 2Gig and you should not have any issue loading multiple versions. Each IOS version should be less than 300Mb. Also, adding multiple versions to the flash card has no impact on NVRAM and/or performance.

HTH 

thank you so much Reza!

Yes, all the images are less than 300Mb and I wanna keep 3 or 4 of them.

But I couldn't find in the datasheets of 4500x that Flash size is 2GB, they only mentioned the NVRAM size and that's 2Gb.

Hi,

Yes, you are correct. The data sheet does not mention the flash size. So, I looked at a live switch and was able to determine the 2Gig.  If you have a switch, you can simply issue "sh flash" and add all the numbers.  It is not exactly 2Gig but it is close to it. For example, I see below numbers:

1293996032 bytes available (312090624 bytes used)

So, if you add the available bytes to bytes used, the total is about 1.5Gig.  With some overhead, I think the flash card is 2Gig but regardless of the size, there is enough room for at least 3 images.

HTH

Thanks so much Reza!

I successfully upgraded all the 4500X nodes in my topology.

However, whilst upgrading process a message appeared that Cisco Smart Install feature is enabled, please use no vstack global configuration command to disable it if you are not actively using the Smart Install feature.

I seriously never used it, but will disabling it affect the process of making VSS pairs and their functionality. The word 'vstack' is kinda new to me for Cisco boxes.

Please let me know your opinion on this.

If you're not using Zero-Touch SmartInstall then it's safe to disable it by using the command "no vstack".

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Catalyst 4K SD port is disabled and there is no plan (or roadmap) to enable it.
I have no idea why they designed it that way.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card