Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4948E 10G

markdd1978
Level 1
Level 1

Hello evereone,

I want to understand - if 10G ports of 4948E (4 x 10Gb) they are block or non-blocks ?

I want to connect this switches with 20 GB (lag) to my BB switches and i need to prepare my infrastructure to 17.5GB troughput of video traffic

my conf. is: wan---> 4900M (20 gb)---> 4948E (20 gb) ---> asa 5585 ssp 20 (20 gb) --->lan

Thanks,

Mark

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The datasheet for that device notes:

• Nonblocking server-to-server traffic with 176-Gbps aggregate throughput

Since the device has 48 gig ports and 4 10gig port, i.e. 88 gig * 2 = 176 Gbps, the answer to your question about blocking or non-blocking for the 10 gig ports should be they are non-blocking.

BTW, most modern high performance switches are non-blocking, but that doesn't mean a port can't congest or that the switch fabric or the forwarding performance guarantee Ethernet wire-rate performance.  From its stats, the 4948E's fabric and pps do guarantee wire-rate for IPv4, but that may not be true for you 4900M, depends what modules are installed.

Thank you Joseph,

the 4900M that i use is 4900M with 8 extension 10g module so i have a 16 x 10gb ports at all

In 4900M datasheet notes that he has 320g throughput so 16X10g=160Gb that mean i have non-blocking traffic through this port.

is this correct ?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

markdd1978 wrote:

Thank you Joseph,

the 4900M that i use is 4900M with 8 extension 10g module so i have a 16 x 10gb ports at all

In 4900M datasheet notes that he has 320g throughput so 16X10g=160Gb that mean i have non-blocking traffic through this port.

is this correct ?

Yes.

I need to use four 10G ports on a 4948E.  I believe it supports 4 ports because I know of some 4948E configurations that show four 10G ports:   T1/48, T1/49, T1/50, T1/51.

As you know, there are only two SFP slots in a 4948E.   I was under the impression that X2-10GB-SR supports two 10G ports, but looking at the specs (link below), now I'm not sure whether they are talking about two connectors or two ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6574/product_data_sheet0900aecd801f92aa.html

If the X2-10G-SR only supports one 10G port, do you know of any SPFs that support two 10 ports?

Please advise.  No guesses please, because this is for an order.

Regards,

Dario

do you know of any SPFs that support two 10 ports?

Sure.  The Nexus 5K has an "octopus" cable.  This cable is 40 Gbps and "breaks out" into four 10 Gbps.

Another is the new WS-X6904-40G-2T with the FourX adaptors.

Thanks, but can you use those SFP's in a 4948E  ?

Thanks, but can you use those SFP's in a 4948E   ?

Which one?  The Nexus or the FourX?

I'm not sure about the N5K octopus cable as I haven't had the chance to play with that but the FourX cassett will be compatible.  The FourX is a cassette with four SFP ports.

Yes and no.  I believe the value "320 Gb" is expressed in HALF duplex.

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

leolaohoo wrote:

Yes and no.  I believe the value "320 Gb" is expressed in HALF duplex.

From 4900M data sheet:

Performance and Scalability

• 320-Gbps switching fabric

• Layer 2 hardware forwarding at 250 mpps

• Layer 3 hardware-based IP Cisco Express Forwarding routing at 250 mpps

• Layer 4 TCP and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) hardware-based filtering at 250 mpps

Believe fabric bandwidths are normally specified for duplex and pps for non-duplex.  If correct, 16x10gig duplex ports would need a fabric of 320 Gbps and (14.8809524 Mpps * 16) 238.1 Mpps for wire-speed Ethernet.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card