cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 Series 10 Gigabit Ethernet Interface Modules.

phherter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've a question about Etherchannel on 10G interface

On the same 6509 (without  VSS), I like to use modules as :8-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module

Can we configure several interfaces (10G) in Etherchannel  between two modules ?
i.e : Module 3 and Module 4, Port 1 of each module configured as Etherchannel between them, same for Port 2 between, etc ...

At the End of the links, can I use a cisco equipment other than the 65xx ?

Do we have any others limitation ?

Thx for you feedback on this

Regards

Philippe.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no issue using interfaces from different line cards within the same chassis to create Etherchannels. It could 8 port 10 gig, 16 port 10 gig, etc.. As long as speed and duplex is the same, no problems.

HTH

View solution in original post

Hi Philippe,

The maximum is 8.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

re: other limitations

If you really need 8 ports of 10 gig, keep in mind bandwidth limitations of the different line cards.  Also, for that much bandwidth, you might want to consider the sup2t with optionally the new 40 gig ports.

PS:

BTW, I've worked in an environment that used/uses 8x10gig Etherchannel.  (I've also seen 8x10gig drop packets because of too much traffic.)

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no issue using interfaces from different line cards within the same chassis to create Etherchannels. It could 8 port 10 gig, 16 port 10 gig, etc.. As long as speed and duplex is the same, no problems.

HTH

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Again one please, do you know the number of ports than we can "put" in the Etherchannel ?

Regards,

Philippe.

Hi Philippe,

The maximum is 8.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

re: other limitations

If you really need 8 ports of 10 gig, keep in mind bandwidth limitations of the different line cards.  Also, for that much bandwidth, you might want to consider the sup2t with optionally the new 40 gig ports.

PS:

BTW, I've worked in an environment that used/uses 8x10gig Etherchannel.  (I've also seen 8x10gig drop packets because of too much traffic.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card