Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6509 Ethernet Card Power Failures

martinward1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Over the last couple of months we have experienced about 5 Ethernet card failures, with another three happening late last year. The problem results in all Cisco IP phones on the card losing power (the phones are powered over Ethernet) and the PCs attached to the phones becoming disconnected from the network. More worryingly the most recent occurrence resulted in two components (capacitors??) on the card burning out when we tried reseating the card in the chassis.

In all but one of the occasions we have had to replace the cards as neither a hw-module reset or a physical reseating do not clear the problem

The only indication we get that there is a problem is when you examine the Show Logs:

%PM_SCP-SP-2-LCP_FW_ERR_INFORM: Module 3 is experiencing the following error: Inline Power Module - PS volatage bad

All our User Access Switches are Cisco WS-6509-E chassis, with 2 Supervisor Engine 32 cards. All of the installed Ethernet modules used are 48-port 10/100/1000 RJ45 EtherModule "WS-X6148A-GE-45AF". And we are currently running 12.2(18)SXF4 IOS (s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-18.SXF4)

The fault has proven to be very random, on every occasion the fault has occurred in different module slots on different chassis located in different parts of the building.

I would be interested if anyone could comment on our problem as we are struggling to ascertain what the root cause is and we are becoming more and more concerned due to the frequency that this problem is happening.

6 Replies 6

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Martin, have you opened a TAC case on this issue.. I would definatetly address this with TAC to rule out any hardware recalls.

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi,

did you resolve this problem? We had the same problem with the following modules and IOS:

System image file is "disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin"

NAME: "1", DESCR: "WS-X6548-GE-TX SFM-capable 48 port 10/100/1000mb RJ45 Rev. 10

.1"

PID: WS-X6548-GE-TX , VID: , SN: SALXXXXXEXA

NAME: "sub-module of 1", DESCR: "WS-F6K-GE48-AF IEEE Voice Daughter Card Rev. 1.

2"

PID: WS-F6K-GE48-AF , VID: , SN: SALXXXXXEGZ

Jun 12 16:30:45: %PM_SCP-SP-2-LCP_FW_ERR_INFORM: Module 1 is experiencing the fo

llowing error: Inline Power Module - PS volatage bad

Jun 12 16:30:50: %PM_SCP-SP-2-LCP_FW_ERR_INFORM: Module 1 is experiencing the fo

llowing error: Inline Power Module - PS volatage bad

Hi Danny,

If my memory serves me correctly, this issue was due to the 6509 Chassis not being grounded properly.

You must ensure that you ground/earth the chassis correctly.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the pointers. Did you also remember such problem causes NIC cards that are connected to the line card to be damaged? Our customer has 3 X31 IBM notebook damaged (the NIC cards) when connected to the line card. They mentioned that they observed smoke coming out of the NIC card.

I don't recall any host devices becoming damaged, however on one occasion a faulty line card did "go bang" as it was being removed and was burnt a little in the process.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recommend you contact TAC to get your card RMA-ed. If this issue happens regularly, there could be a hardware fault with the chassis.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card