cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6513-E Module Placement

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

I will soon replace a Catalyst 6509 switch with a Catalyst 6513-E switch. I was wondering what logic, if any, others use to place the modules in a chassis.

Here is the listing of the line cards that will go into the new switch.

WS-SUP720-3BSlot 1
WS-SUP720-3BSlot 2
WS-X6066-SLB-APCSlot 3
Slot 4
WS-SVC-SSL-1Slot 5
WS-SVC-SSL-1Slot 6
WS-X6148-GE-TXSlot 7
Slot 8
Slot 9
Slot 10
WS-X6066-SLB-APCSlot 11
WS-X6724-SFPSlot 12
WS-X6724-SFPSlot 13
Catalyst 6513-E

Thanks,

Mohamad

10 Replies 10

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mohamad,

Just curious, are you using total 4 Sup modules on a 6513 chasis or is it I am mistaken here?

regards

Sam Wilson

Good catch, Sam. It was the curse of copy and paste. I have updated the

post.

Thanks,

Mohamad

Check the following link. It states what slots the Sups should go into as well has the high performance line cards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_qas09186a0080159963.html

Thanks, Collin. I am not sure if this reference document is also for E series chasses. For example, the document mentions that for 6513, the supervisor modules should be in slot 7 and 8, but when I was configuring a Catalyst 6513-E I was allowed to use only slots 1 and 2 for supervisor engines.

Thanks,

Mohamad

There's another way to sort this.  You'll need a s_crew driver and a torch/flashlight.

The pins of the Supervisor engines and the line cards are totally different.  Check the chassis' back planes and you'll see two slots which have a different male pins and colors of the "board?".

Next time I'm going to the data center I'm bringing a torch, like Indiana Jones!

Also note in the above link-

Slots 1-8 support a single fabric channel; slots 9-13 support dual fabric channels

Next time I'm going to the data center I'm bringing a torch, like Indiana Jones!

Hey Collin,

Don't forget the whip and the pistol.

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks, Leo.

I haven't bought the new chassis yet. I am sure the chassis will clearly be maked as to where the supervisor engines should go.

Thanks,

Mohamad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card