cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9200 license needed for plain switching?

Michael Muenz
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I'm searching for a replacement of a C2960X stack, small company with only 2 switches. I was thinking about the 9200 line, but when calling TechData they told me I need to purchase yearly DNA license for it. My thought was, ok, there is Essentials and Advantage, these should be perpetual, but why do I need all the DNA or SD-WAN access stuff what ever. The customer doesn't need fancy guy or central management, just a stack and a CLI :)

Do I really need to sell them yearly licenses for switches where only 1% of features are used? (Vlan, trunk, port-security, stacking)

Thanks

Michael

Michael Please rate all helpful posts
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You dont need to use DNA it just comes as the pack in license , these will work fine for pure layer 2 switches , stacking i thought was only from 9300s up though , i dont think 9200 support it

View solution in original post

I finally have an answer from official distro:

Regarding DNA license you have to buy the 3year license -A or -E (it's obligatory) no matter if you are using DNA/SD-access or not. So if you just want to use the CLI like with a 2960-X or whatever, you have to buy a 3 year licesene, but you don't have to renew it

I really have no idea who at Cisco had this idea and hope this is not the way Cisco goes for every switch. Can't imagine there are so many ppl out there willing to pay yearly license fees for a switch.

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Yes unfortunately the lowest license you can get is essentials which includes DNA too , we are in same position were purchasing them but have no requirement yet for DNA subscriptions

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/software/one-wireless-subscription/nb-06-dna-acces-wl-sw-faq-ctp-en.pdf

But I can configure and use these switches just as the 2960X via CLI?
No need to install anything? I'm a bit afraid I then have to install DNA, but then I need smartnet for DNA to get the download and so on ...

You dont need to use DNA it just comes as the pack in license , these will work fine for pure layer 2 switches , stacking i thought was only from 9300s up though , i dont think 9200 support it

Sorry, I marked this as resolved but it's not true. DNA is obligatory and Stacking is only available via advanced, not essential.

Can you confirm that 9200 support stacking in DNA advantage? 

Physical stacking is supported for 9200 on NE,NA advantage license.

Stacking not available in essentials?

Uh-oh - I'm in trouble then... I have 66 stacks of up to 4 switches each like this one

SW01#sh inventory
NAME: "c92xx Stack", DESCR: "c92xx Stack"
PID: C9200-48P-E , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "Switch 1", DESCR: "C9200-48P-E"
PID: C9200-48P-E , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "StackPort1/1", DESCR: "StackPort1/1"
PID: STACK-T4-50CM , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "StackPort1/2", DESCR: "StackPort1/2"

NAME: "StackAdapter1/1", DESCR: "StackAdapter1/1"
PID: C9200-STACK , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "StackAdapter1/2", DESCR: "StackAdapter1/2"

NAME: "Switch 1 - Power Supply A", DESCR: "Switch 1 - Power Supply A"
PID: PWR-C5-1KWAC , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "Switch 2", DESCR: "C9200-48P-E"
PID: C9200-48P-E , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "StackPort2/1", DESCR: "StackPort2/1"

NAME: "StackPort2/2", DESCR: "StackPort2/2"
PID: STACK-T4-50CM , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "StackAdapter2/1", DESCR: "StackAdapter2/1"

NAME: "StackAdapter2/2", DESCR: "StackAdapter2/2"

NAME: "Switch 2 - Power Supply A", DESCR: "Switch 2 - Power Supply A"
PID: PWR-C5-1KWAC , VID: V01 , SN: Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I installed a 9200-E stack some weeks ago, it also worked with Essential License. 

Have to recheck the docs, I'm quite sure -A was listed as a requirement, but maybe for a different class.

So, DNA-3 year is required but you don't have to renew it (says the distribution), for stacking in 9200 -E is ok.

NA is needed for Virtual stacking only.

Please rate all helpful posts

Right now I am working on the deployment to two stacks of 9200s

I currently have them stacked and everything is working fine.

In my licenses it is showing :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technology-package Technology-package
Current Type Next reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
network-essentials           Smart License                        network-essentials
dna-essentials                 Subscription Smart License    dna-essentials

and the Network-essentials is showing out of compliance. 

I found that my problem was that Cisco had not applied my Network-Essentials licenses to my account.

In Summary

Physical Stacking will work with both NE and NE.

Virtual stacking will work only with NA.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

The this link details the licencing for the 9000 series and states:

The base licensing package includes the Network Essentials and Network Advantage licensing options that are tied to the hardware. Between them, the base licensing packages cover switching fundamentals, management automation, troubleshooting, and advanced switching features. These base licenses are perpetual.

●     The add-on licensing package includes the Cisco DNA Essentials and Cisco DNA Advantage options. In addition to on-box capabilities, the features available with this package provide Cisco innovations on the switch, as well as on Cisco DNA Center in the APIC-EM. The Cisco DNA add-on licenses are available as a subscription.

So from that if you order with the Network Essentials and Network Advantage NOT the DNA version then you get the perpetual licencing you require.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

TechData tells me I have to order DNA yearly license .. no idea whom to trust :)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: