Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 Password Recovery

I must be blind today because I cannot find any information about this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

38 Replies 38

I was try to press and hold more than a minute. I couldn't enter to the ROMMON mode. What alternative mechanisms I can use? Thank you for your help.

This is a pretty important process to remember because it is almost inevitable that a Catalyst  Admin will need to perform this process. It also works on Catalyst switches it is super useful '

Hi Smith,

As you mentioned, i have tried power cycle and hold the mode button but switch is not going to loader mode.

can you help me on that....

Uttam,

I had the same problem as you did. In my case I found that the process differs very slightly from the 38/3650 in that instead of HOLDING the Mode button you need to press it multlple times 2-3 in my case just after it comes up with Initializing hardware.

System Management Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x (Catalyst 9300 Switches) - Troubleshooting the Softwa…

Exceprt from documentation :

Procedure

Step 1 Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.
  • Connect a terminal or a PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the console port of the active switch.
  • Connect a PC to the Ethernet management port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the Ethernet management port of a stack member .
Step 2 Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.
Step 3 Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.
Step 4 Reconnect the power cord to the switch or the active switch. . The switch starts the boot process. Press the Mode button when it attempts to start booting. Press the Mode button 2-3 times until the switch fails to boot and goes to ROMMON mode.

Initializing Hardware...  System Bootstrap, Version 16.6.1r [FC1], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P) Compiled Sat 07/15/2017  8:31:57.39 by rel  Current image running: Primary Rommon Image  Last reset cause: SoftwareReload         <---- Start pressing the mode button C9300-24U platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory  attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]  Located file packages.conf # #####################################################################  Unable to load cat9k-rpboot.16.06.02b.SPA.pkg Failed to boot file flash:user/packages.conf ERROR: failed to boot from flash:packages.conf (Aborted) <--- will abort switch: switch:  <---- ROMMON 

Proceed to the Procedure with Password Recovery Enabled section, and follow the steps.

Step 5 After recovering the password, reload the switch or the active switch .

On a switch:

Switch> reload Proceed with reload? [confirm] y  

On the active switch:

Switch> reload slot <stack-active-member-number> Proceed with reload? [confirm] y 

Hope this helps !

As others have said the method above, marked as the answer, may not work for some. On my 9300 running Fuji 16.9.3 I had to wait for the image to begin loading and then simply press the mode button once to interrupt it.

Initializing Hardware...

Initializing Hardware...

System Bootstrap, Version 16.9.1r [FC2], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Tue 05/29/2018 14:59:59.99 by rel

Current ROMMON image : Primary
Last reset cause : PowerOn
C9300-48UXM platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory

boot: attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]
boot: reading file packages.conf
#################################  <~~~ Press 'Mode' button here to interrupt

boot: failed to load cat9k-rpboot.16.09.03.SPA.pkg
boot: failed to boot file flash:user/packages.conf
ERROR: failed to boot from flash:packages.conf (Aborted)
switch:

Daryl Allen
Level 1
Level 1

For password recovery on Catalyst 9300, look at this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_166_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/b_166_sys_mgmt_9300_cg_chapter_01100.html#task_nzq_q4z_n1b

Recovering from a Lost or Forgotten Password

Procedure

Step 1

Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.

• Connect a terminal or a PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the console port of the active switch.

• Connect a PC to the Ethernet management port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the Ethernet management port of a stack member .

Step 2

Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

Step 3

Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.

Step 4

Reconnect the power cord to the switch or the active switch. As soon as the System LED blinks, press and release the Mode button 2-3 times. The switch enters the ROMMON mode.

Initializing Hardware...

System Bootstrap, Version 16.6.1r [FC1], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Sat 07/15/2017  8:31:57.39 by rel

Current image running: 
Primary Rommon Image

Last reset cause: SoftwareReload         <---- Start pressing and releasing the mode button
C9300-24U platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory

attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]

Located file packages.conf 
#
#####################################################################

Unable to load cat9k-rpboot.16.06.02b.SPA.pkg
Failed to boot file flash:user/packages.conf
ERROR: failed to boot from flash:packages.conf (Aborted) <--- will abort
switch:  
switch:  <---- ROMMON

Proceed to the Procedure with Password Recovery Enabled section, and follow the steps.

Step 5

After recovering the password, reload the switch or the active switch .

On a switch:

Switch> reload
Proceed with reload? [confirm] y

On the active switch:

Switch> reload slot <stack-active-member-number>
Proceed with reload? [confirm] y

Step 6

Power on the remaining switches in the stack.

I know it seems funny but you have to press the mode button multiple times to get bootloader mode

CFG line  and the mode button and the reboot x 2 worked for me. Thanks. 

But in my case, after reload switch continued to ignore the config until I reversed the original CFG statement (=0)

Last action before rebooting is the command "no system ignore startupconfig switch all" when in config mode.

Save config & reload your switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card