cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 UPOE/802.3bt - Obtain 60W using 2-event and 4 pair

Ali-F
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I've done a fair amount of reading on the topic and searched on the community but I can't find any info on this specific scenario.

We have non cdp/lldp PTZ cameras that require 60W. I know that configuring a port to 2-event mode will allow a PD to receive 30W without any cdp/lldp negotiation. My question is whether it is also possible to enable 4-pair forced mode on the same port in order to double that allocation to 60W?

I'm waiting to get access to the C9300 to do some testing but thought I'd post here in the hope that someone has already tried this successfully/unsuccessfully or found another method of achieving the desired result?

TIA

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know, only SG350 and the Catalyst 9400 (C9400-LC-48H) support 802.3bt.
The other method is using a power injector.

Cisco-branded power injectors are made by Phihong and they have a growing catalogue of 802.3bt injectors (managed and un-managed).  They can be found HERE.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback Leo, but that's not the case, according to Cisco's docs (see below).

Injectors work obviously, but then why buy a poe switch, when an injector means ac power supply + an additional network cable. Personally, I'm leaning towards telling the camera manufacturer that they need to make their cameras IEEE compliant and add lldp support but that will not be accomplished any time in the near future. I thought perhaps my idea could provide a temporary solution to the current issue.

The Cisco UPOE feature provides the capability to source up to 60 W of power (2 x 30 W) over both signal and spare pairs of the RJ-45 Ethernet cable by using the Layer-2 power negotiation protocols such as CDP or LLDP. An LLDP and CDP request of 30 W and higher in presence of the 4-wire Cisco Proprietary spare-pair power TLV can provide power on the spare pair.

When enabled in IEEE 802.3bt mode, Cisco UPOE devices function as 802.3bt Type 3 devices, supporting upto Class 6 (refer the IEEE Power Classification table in the document) on every port.
Note 	

Only the following UPOE switches are IEEE 802.3bt-complaint Type 3 devices:

C9300-24U

C9300-48U

C9300-24UX

C9300-48UXM

C9300-48UN

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The support for 802.3bt Type 3 compliance on the Cisco Catalyst 9300 UPOE Series Switches has been introduced since Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.12.1.

The Cisco Catalyst 9300 UPOE switches that support IEEE 802.3bt standard for Type 3 powered devices are in 802.3at mode, by default. You can enable 802.3bt mode on them using the "hw-module switch switch_no upoe-plus" command in the global configuration mode. Note that this command power cycles the switch upon configuration.

When the end device is PoE-capable on both signal and spare pairs, but does not support the CDP or LLDP extensions required for Cisco UPOE the interface command "power inline four-pair forced" is used.

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card