cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300L Scheduled Fast Reload

ZachOtt98645
Level 1
Level 1

I recently got to test the new fast reload feature of 17.x.x on the 9300L. Working at a 24/7/365 operation, minimizing downtime is critical. One caveat to this feature seems to be the inability to schedule a reload. In 16.x.x and before I would use

reload at 00:00 MON DD reason

to schedule a IOS upgrade. Does anyone know of a way to schedule a fast reload via a CLI command? (we don't use DNA Center in our environment yet) I'd prefer to not have to wake up at odd hours of the night to initiate one command and then go back to bed.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

See the config guide. Apparently reload fast is not used for software upgrades.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-3/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_173_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/performing_extended_fast_software_upgrade.html

I'd prefer to not have to wake up at odd hours of the night to initiate one command and then go back to bed.

Honestly, if this is 24/7/365 operation, I would not want to be asleep when the switch reboot

You want to verify all is working before going back to sleep.

HTH

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Are there any additional options listed on (CLI)  reload fast (meaning the question-mark  should be part of the given-command).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

As far as I can see (using 16.8.1 version), there is no other option after "reload fast"

HTH

- Possible solution(s) could be to have an automated (python)-script , to remotely execute a command, triggered at a specific time, from linux-cron (e.g.) - Google with relevant keywords will provide examples.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card