cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9324T switch pair connecting to Dell VLT switch pair

RANT
Level 1
Level 1

Our vendor has connected their S4148T switch pair (configured with vlt domain) to my switch pair (Catalyst 9300-24T).

We essentially have a criss-cross connection for full redundancy. the ports on both sides are configured as normal switch ports, not as trunks. There is a picture but here are the connections:
Catalyst 1: ports1/2 --> dell switch 1 port 51, dell switch 2 port 51
Catalyst 2: ports1/2 --> dell switch 1 port 52, dell switch 2 port 52
What seems odd to me is why spanning-tree isn't blocking one path? I'm seeing a large amount of TX discards on dell switches port 52 (switch goes to catalyst switch 2), but none on port 51 (switch goes to switch 1). On the other hand, I see lots of TX discards on catalyst switch 1 ports1/2, but none on switch 2 ports 1/2.

Is there any reason why they would have been configured as switch ports and not trunk ports? I would think if they were trunk ports, then spanning-tree would have started blocking a pair of ports (most likely switch 2, which has the higher port priority values).

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...What seems odd to me is why spanning-tree isn't blocking one path
 - At least both platforms should use a common spanning tree algorithm ; review this document :
                           https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/us/Dell-Networking-and-Cisco-Spanning-Tree-Interoperability.pdf

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card