cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Supervisor 32 NVRAM Location

Darren Roback
Level 5
Level 5

I have a Sup32 that I suspect has faulty NVRAM (e.g., I am unable to "wr mem" on the device - it states resource is busy but no other active connections exist). Prior to replacing the supervisor engine I'd like to take a crack at formatting NVRAM to see if it resolves the issue. This supervisor does not have a CF card installed, thus no Disk0:. Within the CLI, I am presented two options with the "format" command - bootflash: and sup-bootflash:. Bootflash: does not have any data on it, however, sup-bootflash: contains my IOS image. I believe that both of these locations are simply directories within NVRAM.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Darren

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

NVRAM can not be formatted.  The only thing you can do is to erase the config.

HTH

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Darren,

As Reza said you cannot format the NVRAM.

Further more what error do you see when you type "wr mem" ?

Regards

Inayath

Appreciate the feedback guys. I'm trying to get a better handle on the file structure here. There is no CF card installed, so the only storage location should be within flash on the SUP itself. When I perform a "wr mem" I receive the following "

startup-config file open failed (Device or resource busy)". Support forums often refer to another user/device connecting to the switch, however, I have verified that no other devices are currently connected.

Thx,

Darren

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card