Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst switch two o more 10gig interface

Osman_gadji_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I need select best switch solution for my backbone network.

Requirement- 2 or more 10G interface with SFP physical connection.

I am interesting Cisco catalyst 4900M switch, with X2 to SFP module.

Pleasure help with best solution select.

What other you can recommend me?

Thanks!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

5 Replies 5

Hello,

the decision depends on the way that you'll want to take: Ethenet or just prepare to FCoE technology,what is the size of your network? High availabilty? Servers? Layer 2 or Layer 3?

Ethernet: Catalyst 6500,4900 or 3750 stack.

The future (FCoE): Nexus family (NX5000, NX5000 + NX2000,...)

Hi,

I  am ISP, my network is a backbone that use for connecting other small  ISP's and delivery services for customer (such as MPLS, VLAN).

Today, backbone work at 1gig ethernet and does not guarantee, does not provide a service for customers, clients.

I think if replacement central core router (layer 3 switch) resolve my problems. My network is star topology, where i have 6 fiber link. it's will be updated from 1gig to 10gig. For this task i need replace core switch and end switch's

I guess to use as a central switch, the device of a series of 4900 and ends at 3650X

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Besides the 3650x you might want to consider the 4948E(-F).

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3560E-12D has twelve 10Gb interface.

But if you work for an ISP then a 3560E-12D or a 4500 is not what I would recommend.  Think bigger.

I'd look at the new Sup2T with a 6500 or a 7600 chassis.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can now order the Sup2T-10G starting from today.  IOS is out.

Release Notes for Cisco IOS Release 12.2SY

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card