cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS220 QinQ VLAN support confusion

ChrisR132
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a switch that supports Q-in-Q (802.1ad) VLAN stacking.

My Question is two-fold: (1) What switches on the market support the addition of Q-in-Q tags and (2) When Cisco lists 'Q-in-Q' support on a spec sheet, what does that actually mean?

I purchased a bunch of Cisco Business 220 switches - the Spec Sheet states: 

QinQ VLAN

VLANs transparently cross a service provider network while isolating traffic among customers

The Administration Guide lists the VLAN interface type can be set to Dot1q-Tunnel

Interface VLAN Mode

Select the interface mode for the VLAN. The options are:

• Access—The interface is an untagged member of a single VLAN. A port configured in this mode is known as an access port.

• Trunk—The interface is an untagged member of one VLAN at most, and is a tagged member of zero or more VLANs. A port configured in this mode is known as a trunk port.

• General—The interface can support all functions as defined in the IEEE 802.1q specification. The interface can be a tagged or untagged member of one or more VLANs.

• Dot1q-Tunnel—Selecting this option places the interface in QinQ mode. This enables you to use your own VLAN arrangements (PVID) across the provider network. The device is in Q-in-Q mode when it has one or more dot1-q-tunnel ports.

However (and I wish I had noticed earlier) the Standards section does NOT state 802.1ad and my attempts to configure the switch to do the tagging have failed. So.... what does Dot1q-Tunnel Interface VLAN Mode mean as it pertains to this switch?

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card