cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNA Lab -- What do i need?

ph3nixccna
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 cisco 1941, 1 cisco 4221 and 2 ASA 5510. What switch and how many do I need? Are the routers i have okay for the CCNA? 

4 Replies 4

Hello,

CCNA kit requirements change often, have a look at the site below:

https://www.certificationkits.com/

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Using real devices is helpful but not completely necessary to learn CCNA. Sure, if you can afford, get 3-4 switches, 2 x L3 and 2x L2 like c3750s and c2960s.   Real devices are OK if you do not have any hands-on experience and want to play with cables.  I think the best way to learn fundamentals of networking is via PT, Cisco NetAcademy free Packet tracer software simulator.  PT gives you freedom to make lots of typologies with numerous devices and ability to quickly make changes.  Several exercises were made for PT followed by videos with instructions.

Of course, PT is just a simulator and not real thing, it's made to behave like real IOS and some features (commands) are not available.  However, virtual platform gear is getting better.  GNS3, CML, EveNG are virtual labs platform that need real or virtual IOS to build typologies.  CCIE lab used to be all virtual for last 5 years before switching to mostly virtual due to program changes in 2020 (and only one real switch).

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

with either the virtual platform or real equipment, is it a way to upgrade the IOS without having support license for lab?

You should not have to do any upgrades at CCNA level.  But, upgrading license  usually depends on IOS version and device platform and your needs. There is basic or default image license in every image so you do not need pay extra unless you want to unlock additional features like advanced security.  Virtual IOS image should work without any licenses; those always worked fine for me (maybe they are already included inside of IOS or virtual platform).

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card