cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CEF720 Line Card 48 port with PoE?

josh.endean
Level 1
Level 1

I am considering VSS on two 6509-E switches but need to sustain PoE availability for some interfaces.

Documentation quote:

"The virtual switching system requires 67xx series switching modules.

The virtual switching system does not support classic, CEF256 or dCEF256 switching modules. In virtual switch mode, unsupported switching modules remain powered off."

If I enable VSS, the non-67xx line cards remain powered off.

Is there a solution avaiable for a fabic enabled line card supporting PoE?

Thanks,

Josh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Josh,

it looks like that VSS is thought for servers and data centers

see the following note from data sheets

Note: PoE is not supported on Cisco Express Forwarding 720 10/100/1000 interface modules

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html

So if VSS supports only 67xx modules and those modules don't support PoE you cannot provide POE on the VSS.

Or you move the POE devices to other POE capable switches or you stay without VSS

the reason for the missing POE on 67xx modules is that they already consume more power to connect to the sup720 switching fabric and also can be a design choice that sees POE as an edge/access layer feature and VSS can be seen at the distribution layer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Josh,

it looks like that VSS is thought for servers and data centers

see the following note from data sheets

Note: PoE is not supported on Cisco Express Forwarding 720 10/100/1000 interface modules

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html

So if VSS supports only 67xx modules and those modules don't support PoE you cannot provide POE on the VSS.

Or you move the POE devices to other POE capable switches or you stay without VSS

the reason for the missing POE on 67xx modules is that they already consume more power to connect to the sup720 switching fabric and also can be a design choice that sees POE as an edge/access layer feature and VSS can be seen at the distribution layer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Thank you for your response.

Understanding that the sup720 switching fabric consumes more power than non-fabric cards answered my question.

I'll have to provision PoE to the access layer via another chassis switch to enable VSS.

You answered my question.

Best Regards,

Josh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: